Lion Guest VM freezes after host Mac awakes from sleep

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Scott G Howard, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Scott G Howard

Scott G Howard Bit poster

I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac and created a new Lion virtual machine from the recovery partition. I installed the Parallels Tools. All works great except when my host Mac goes to sleep. The Lion VM seems unable to recover from this. I seem to be able to move the VM's mouse, but I cannot click anything, pull down any menus or show the dock. If Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac can't recover from the host sleeping and awakening, it isn't ready for public distribution.

2. mikedparallels

mikedparallels Junior Member

Win7 Guest VM freezes after host Mac awakes from sleep

This same problem occurs with Windows 7 Guest VM.

Is Parallels going to fix this?

3. UfukC

UfukC Junior Member

i have similar problem with pd 6. my mac os crashes on awakes from sleep if i do not close vm before sleep. support tries to use me as their tester. they force me to use pd 7 trial to test it. i have to back up and try. if i have no problem they think i will buy pd 7 and forget problem. i bought pd 6, 4 months ago. now i have to buy new version. they say i have to wait pd 6 fix for few months.

4. PieroM

PieroM Bit poster

Wix XP freezing on Parallels Desktop 7

On Parallels Desktop 7 my WinXP virtual machine also freezes, though I had the impression that there were a few occasions in which it didn't. So no real improvement with 7.0

5. PieroM

PieroM Bit poster

I have noticed that the VM with WinXPPro SP3 does not freeze on some occasions, while it still does on others. My Parallels version is: 7.0.15052, my system is MBPro Mac OS X 10.7.2, 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8Gb Ram (of which, 3 Gb dedicated to the XP VM).

6. mikee57

mikee57 Bit poster

Parallels 6.0 - WinXP also crashing

I am having the same problem. I installed OS X Lion few months ago on MacBook Pro Dec 2010 and have been having the freezing, crashing issue with Parallels 6.0.12106 the last week or so.
    Only when the machine goes to sleep or I close the lid. Parallels, please fix this.
    Thanks, Mike

7. Lynx357Mag

Lynx357Mag Bit poster

Win 7 Guest VM freezes after host Mac awakes from sleep

I am seeing this happen as well with Parallels Desktop 7. I am running Mac OS X Lion with a Win 7 Guest. Other than this one issue I am extremely pleased with the product. However, this is sever enough that it would keep me from purchasing it, as I use sleep constantly.

I am currently on the 14 day trial. I hope we can at least get an update from support on the status of this situation. I am hard pressed to believe it isn't happening to others. I am running a MBA 13 w/ i7 and 4GB of RAM.

8. cmh716

cmh716 Bit poster

I'm having this issue as well. Lion Guest freezes after resume from sleep.

9. Lynx357Mag

Lynx357Mag Bit poster

Resolved with latest update of Parallels 7

I am pleased to report that after updating Parallels Desktop 7 post install, I am no longer experiencing the freeze from sleep issue. I am running Mac OS X Lion, with Win 7, in coherence mode. Works as advertised, and I am working well!!!

10. CorbinH

CorbinH Bit poster

I am running the latest version of PD7 and still having the freezing problem when I have a OS X Lion vm open when host (OS X Lion) goes to standby.

This update to 7 and OS x Lion has been so frustrating.

11. PeterZion

PeterZion Bit poster

I am having the same problem here. This is a critical problem that is affecting our use of Parallels on a daily basis. If this is not fixed we will have to use another virtualization solution.

12. CorbinH

CorbinH Bit poster

after speaking with tech support it is a known issue (that they or apple are hopefully working on)

13. Daniel.K

Daniel.K Bit poster

Is there any update on a fix for this problem? I'm still getting consistent crashing after waking from sleep. I'm using build 7.0.15055 (Revision 740667; March 5, 2012). Thanks.

14. joeldanowitz

joeldanowitz Bit poster

Any update on this? I am running the latest Parallels Build 7.0.15055 with OSX Lion Host OS and OSX Lion Guest OS. The guest OS freezes when the Host OS is put into standby (closing the lid).

15. Daniel.K

Daniel.K Bit poster

It's been over 7 months since this bug has been reported in this forum and still no fix. During the return period, I was assured this bug was being addressed. Now I can no longer return this defective product, and Parallels seems to be silent on the issue. Parallels support, we're eagerly waiting for an answer.

16. JudeCoisne

JudeCoisne Bit poster

Hello. if we have cases that can't be solved where should we go? Thanks. [​IMG]

17. Daniel.K

Daniel.K Bit poster

If you bought the regular retail version of the product, there is a 90-day money back guarantee. I bought it through the Nova SuperBundle, so there was only a 30-day money back guarantee.

You can open a case with Parallels support and see if they can assist. If they can't, you can always file a complaint with the BBB:
    http://www.bbb.org/western-washingt...-and-services/parallels-in-renton-wa-22687393

In my case, I run a Mac consulting business and have been updating my blog about this issue.

18. eniclem

eniclem Bit poster

Why is this not getting fixed????????????????????

I have the same issue Mac OS x and Windows 7 What is going on Parallels you dont care about your product quality anymore?

19. makehavoc

makehavoc Bit poster

Hello,
    LION GUEST VM FREEZES after waking computer from sleep. Painful!!

I too am having the same problem. Brand new macbook pro 3 days old. 512Gb ssd, 16GB Ram.
    Running Mountain Lion 10.8.0. Parallels v7.0.15106 rev 786747.

I've installed less than 10 programs on the mountain lion side as I wanted to keep the install clean and run most apps in a virtual machine.

I've installed Lion and have updated to Lion 10.7.4 and have the latest Macintosh software updates. The Lion VM has 4GB of ram and 256mb of Video memory.

After waking the computer from sleep I go into my lion VM and it is totally frozen and totally unusable!

I purchased Parallels instead of upgrading my VMware fusion software as Parallels expressly supported Lion as a VM. This isn't what I would call supporting it. It is frustratingly unusable.

Any assistance is appreciated. I would prefer not to have to pay for a support call, however reading through these threads and other information on the internet the prognosis isn't looking good.

20. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

This problem is fixed in Parallels Desktop 8.