Aero Not Working in PD7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LukeF, Sep 8, 2011.

1. LukeF

LukeF Bit poster

After upgrading to PD7 and installing the new Parallels Tools, it rebooted and Windows was using "Windows Basic."

I then reinstalled Parallels Tools, rebooted again with the same result.

I have re-run the Windows Experience Index after the reinstallation, and it registers the same as PD6 (6.0).

If I use the "Troubleshoot problems with transparency and other Aero effects" tool in the Personalization screen, it says "updating Desktop Window Manager settings..." and Aero is enabled, but my desktop is black and no icons displayed. Some of the windows are also black (cannot view the window contents).

If I log out and log back in to, it reverts to Windows basic.

Any ideas?

2. Check settings

I would check settings such as memory dedicated to graphics, RAM allocated to Parallels and make sure 3D is checked otherwise Aero will be disabled. I am not sure what is turning off Aero if its Windows not detecting the right parameters for Aero or in Parallels has a issues that is turning it off. Mine did the same thing. I could go in and re activate a Aero theme and it will be fine for a while. Some have said that Coherance somehow is disabling it? My guess is that PD 7 has a more sensitive adjustment to resources to keep Parallels running faster. So maybe its killing Aero to better handle what resources it has. I know I only have 2GB RAM in my Macbook Air. So it actually makes sense for me to run without Aero.

3. seajack0

seajack0 Bit poster

I am having the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same symptoms. You wouldn't happen to have a USB to DVI display adapter connected, would you?

4. LukeF

LukeF Bit poster

@ Johnnythegeek, thanks for the reply, I have tried both at the previous 256MB setting and the newly available 1GB setting for video memory and all 3d acceleration options are enabled. I have 8GB of RAM, although new in PD7, it's balking at assigning more than 4GB?

@seajack0, I don't have a USB-to-DVI adapter. I have a pair of ATI Radeon HD 5770s.

The system seems to think it's running Aero (e.g. firefox and chrome both have different UIs for aero/basic configs) and they're both rendering as though aero were enabled, just with the windows basic theme instead.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

6. LukeF

LukeF Bit poster

I followed the instructions in the article, however it says "Unable to send the problem report. Please check your network settings and try again. If the problem persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance."

It appears to be timing out - the total size of the PrlProblemReport folder is 45.6MB - could that be a problem?

7. LukeF

LukeF Bit poster

I omitted portions of the report to reduce file size and it appears to have worked. The Report ID is 10116080.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

Luke,

Thanks for the report. Try this as workaround:
    . Shut down your VM and open Virtual Machine Configuration
    . Select Hardware tab, Boot Order section
    . In Boot flags field type in "video.wddm_1_1=0" without quotes

We will address your issue in an update for PD7.

9. LukeF

LukeF Bit poster

Works great! Thanks!

10. Alex M

Alex M Bit poster

Is this fixed?

I just recently upgraded to both Lion and Parallels 7 on my main Mac Pro desktop. Aero turns on initially, but then at some point it turns off and goes back to basic. Previously Parallels 5 worked fine for me on Snow Leopard.