Coherence not supported in Parallels Workstation 6 for linux?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by JasonFerrara, Jan 23, 2012.

1. JasonFerrara

JasonFerrara Bit poster

I have Parallels Workstation Build 6.0.13950 installed on a Fedora 16 64 bit host. I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit guest. Parallels Tools are installed in the guest. Shared folders, mouse integration, and auto resizing video are working.

While the User's Guide mentions Coherence, I see no evidence of it anywhere. There is no Coherence option in the view menu, and no Coherence item in the Options section of the virtual machine configuration. Is it not supported on a linux host, or is there some way to enable it that I'm just not seeing? Is it perhaps some issue with Fedora 16? I see that only 15 is officially supported. But other than Coherence mode seemingly missing, everything else works fine.

Update: I tried with a Fedora 15 host, and the same thing happens. And when I install Parallels Tools in the guest I can see an Installing Coherence" message flash by, but I still see no way to turn it on.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

Cannot seem to find it here either.

It's a shame nobody from Parallels would take the time to answer your question. I installed the 30 day trial and have been updating WinXP all day. I was wondering about the coherence thing too. Went and checked the manual, and it shows very clearly where the setting is "supposed" to be. However, when I check View Mode, I only have two options Console and Full Screen.

If anyone out there, using linux, actually has coherence working, could you let us know?

Thanks!!

Robert

3. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

NOT supported in PW6

So today I called Parallels Tech Support to try and get us an answer. In short, despite what is listed in the manual, Parallels Workstation 6 does NOT support Coherence for Windows and Linux installations.

He said only PW7 for Mac supports it. I mentioned the manual indicating it was supported, and he said he'd put a "feature request" in for me. ARGH!!! I've been waiting for Coherence to appear in the linux version since way back around PD2, after it was released in the Mac version. What's the problem Parallels?!?!?!?!?

4. MarisaR

MarisaR Bit poster

And there still isn't any kind of Coherence feature with Linux...

5. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

Nope. I wouldn't expect to see it until PW7 at the very least, and even then I'd be doubtful until I actually saw it.

Robert