Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by veggiedude, May 31, 2007.

1. John Purins

John Purins Member

What IBM has sold would probably replenish a small percentage of their petty cash fund.

Microsoft resulted from something that IBM didn't feel was really worthwhile to pursue wholeheartedly. They may have some second thoughts about this but it's not a show stopper for them by any means.

We're Mac users and Apple is way ahead of Microsoft but you have to acknowledge where the computing industry's roots and innovation have originated from. Big Blue has played an overwhelmingly large part in this and continues to do so.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  2. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

I wouldn't say that Apple is way ahead across the board. I believe that we'll see plenty more innovative things come from Microsoft. I don't see Apple making coffee table computers but you can bet if such a device even shows a hint of taking off Apple will be right behind.

I am kind of counting on IBM to be doing the hard science, something neither Apple or Microsoft have the facilities for at the moment. What matters at a very big level is who is writing the papers.

3. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Exactly the same for me, what gives??

4. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

I couldn't agree more. I make my living working inside a Parallels VM and I've been using virtualization and emulation in its various forms since the late 1990s. Parallels has been rock-solid in my hands, and I beat on it pretty hard.

PDM is incredibly inexpensive for what it provides. Plus, free trials have always been available. No one has to spend a cent determining whether or not the product suits their needs.

Only forty bucks to upgrade to 3.0? Count me in! Keep up the good work, Parallels.

5. hoju

hoju Member

What a mess

Fanboys aside, this is obviously a hyped up mess of a release.

The update page advertising 3.0 has a small blurb at the end implying it is weeks from release, long after they send you down the path of giving them money.

And no where in the bold hyped up titles does it say "Coming Soon..."

It is the cheesiest release I have ever seen.

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

ummm shouldnt this be in the beta forum... ?

on a side note... all they list in their webpage there, is exactly what is listed by Parallels in their 3.0 release notes....

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

The words "PRE ORDER" should give you some kind of clue.

8. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

Thats Odd! I purchased Parrallels almost one year ago so I should of also been on their old purchase system. What worked for me flawlessly was I clicked on the upgrade now button in their email I received.

I went through the purchase which showed 49.99 and a $10 discount totaling out to 39.99! Exactly as advertised!

Looking forward to this release!

Thanks Parallels for what has been a great product!

:)

9. wesley

wesley Pro

This doesn't really mean anything. 'DirectX 9 compatible' just means any 3D hardware that can run under DX9 distributable. Even a DX7 hardware is DirectX 9 'compatible' - DX9-only features will just be disabled or passed to software emulation and games will generally cope with this. Seriously, even Radeon 7500 is 'DirectX 9 compatible'.

The keyword you need is 'compliant'. That means the hardware supports all the features required to be fully DX9.

If Vista Aero isn't supported with initial release of 3.0, that'll mean the virtualized graphics hardware is not DX9 'compliant', although you'd be able to install DX9 distributable and run those games which is 'optimized' for DX9.

10. kat

kat Product Expert

upgrade

I have yet to receive the upgrade e-mail. Would gladly pay the $40. Is there a link to the upgrade offer?

thanks

11. snodman

snodman Member

They never charged extra for upgrade protection. They DID sell Parallels at various times with a year-from-purchase-date guarantee that future releases would be given to you at no cost. IF you have that upgrade protection you already have an email (from the time you got your current key) which indicates the free upgrades for a year deal. I'm also guessing that AFTER 3.0 gets released you could always just email SWsoft with your current key and get the 3.0 key emailed back to you.

12. snodman

snodman Member

This is what you should look for in that old email:

"Thank you for purchasing Parallels Desktop for Mac, the industry's most powerful and user-friendly virtualization solution!

This copy includes free Upgrade Protection for one year following the date of purchase, which entitles you to receive all major upgrades released during that timeframe at no additional cost. When a new major version is released, you will receive an email to the address you used to register the product that includes instructions on how to download and install the new version, and a permanent activation key that is compatible with the new version."

13. kat

kat Product Expert

register

Did you register your copy with Parallels or Novareg.com?
    thanks
    kat

14. JohnnyGTO

JohnnyGTO Junior Member

I blame the education system, they dropped get a clue from the curriculum years ago. :p

15. modular747

modular747 Member

16. loveparallels

loveparallels Bit poster

3.0 upgrade email

Hi I got the same upgrade email from Nova Development but it's not spam. it's the company that publishes parallels for the aple stores and other retail outlets. they are totally legit and it's where i called when i needed a disc replacement so they are safe

17. John Purins

John Purins Member

I agree with you completely, particularly regarding the science.

The way ahead part of my post could have been stated better; I was referring to how the technology is implemented when the two companies have competing products.

18. purephase

purephase Junior Member

Bootcamp + Vista support in v3?

Does anyone know if Vista is supported through Bootcamp in v3?

19. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Parallels 3.0 MUST still have in order for me to operate it

OSX have control over 3.0's keyboard and mouse. Or at least have that option.

As some of you know, I operate my iMac by a special Morse code software and hardware adapter along with my head switches. My Morse code software is totally Mac base. I can't operate Windows naively as to right now and in the immediate future.

Here's my web page if you want to read more about me: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Hall/1697/Index.html .

So Parallels team or beta-testers please tell me that I still can operate Parallels 3.0.

Thank you.

20. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member