USB mouse, MacBook Air, Lion, and Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Shaddam IV, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hello,

I'm running OS X Lion (10.7.3) on a mid 2011 MBAir 13 inch. When I plug a USB mouse into either USB port, it does not respond (cursor doesn't move, mouse clicks are not recognised). The mouse is on (LED is on). The mouse runs perfectly fine in BootCamp (Windows 7): thus there seems to be no hardware issues.

I just plugged the same mouse into a mid 2011 MBAir 11 inch (a colleague's) running 10.7.3, with the same result.

Both of these MBAirs have Parallels 7 installed.

When I plug in the mouse, the console (system log) displays "AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed".

Has anyone else observed this behaviour on a MBAir with Lion?

NB: I *can* get the mouse to work by running an x86 emulator called "Boxer" (http://boxerapp.com/). Even after I've quit Boxer, the USB mouse keeps working - until I unplug it. When I then plug it in again, it doesn't work.

I had not observed this issue with Lion 10.7.2.

Any reply would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Please let me know the model of this mouse?

I guess it does not have drivers for Mac and this is the reason.

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Thanks for the reply. It's a cheap no-name mouse. When I log into my Mac on startup, the mouse works just fine (click on my user account image, then move the cursor into the password field). However, once my desktop appears, the mouse no longer works.
    When I tie the mouse directly into Parallels (Devices->USB->USB mouse), it also works - within the virtualized Windows environment. So there definitely are no hardware issues. When I quit Parallels, it still doesn't work on the Mac side.
    On the Mac side, when I have the mouse plugged in, the mouse control panel (Mac) shows me all there is to show for a USB mouse (acceleration, wheel, and click settings), so the Mac can definitely "see" the mouse - it just doesn't respond to any mouse action that I do (move, click, wheel).
    Really odd. I guess you're right, and there are some limitations to the Mac's USB mouse driver.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

99% driver is the problem. it is possible that mouse has been designed to work only in Windows environment (especially after you have described that it works in virtual machine)