Unable to connect CD/DVD 1.

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by ParallelsWannabe, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ParallelsWannabe

ParallelsWannabe Bit poster

I installed Parallels, created a virtual machine using the defaults. I don't remember the exact prompts but there was something like "now that you've created your virtual machine it's time to install an OS" - I followed the prompts and had the Linux distro in the drive but ended up getting this error message:
    A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

2. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

I encountered that problem when I tried to use an old VM in a new installation of PW6. The old image was from my previous computer so the DVD drive was not the same as it expected. I fixed it by opening PW6, but NOT starting the OS. In the configuration, on the right side, click on the CD/DVD and then select the drive that's installed on your computer. After that's done, try and launch the VM again.

Good luck!

Robert

3. ParallelsWannabe

ParallelsWannabe Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, your situation is different than mine. I did not have an existing VM to use from another machine. I created a new VM on this computer. So the VM I created never knew any CD Rom but the one that is on this machine. I was using a trial version and that trial has expired and I cannot play around further.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

Get yourself a "throw-away" email address (yahoo, google, etc). and then get yourself another trial version to use to see if you can get your drive working.

I haven't used PW6 on a Windows host machine, so perhaps there's something I'm not catching. You should be able to install PW6 and then when creating the VM, specify which device is your DVD drive. I'm assuming the Windows machine will have letters (i.e.: D:, E: etc) as compared to /dev/sr0 (which was on my Ubuntu machine).

Good luck! Hopefully, another fellow user can help you. It is sad that Parallels doesn't support the forums considering it's THEIR forum.

5. mmika

mmika Pro

I can help you but only if you provide a problem report data ID.
    When VM will show you that warning, close it but do not stop the VM.
    Go to menu Help->Report problem...

You can read how to obtain problem report ID here http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058.
    It's for MAC OSX but really doesn't a matter.

If you encountered a problem during any wizard (New VM creation etc), do not use it.
    After VM wizard closed go to VM settings (Virtual Machine->Configure..) and check DVD drive settings.
    If VM started automatically hav risen a warning "Unable to connect CD/DVD", try to connect it again manually or
    stop the VM and go to VM settings, rechek it and start the VM again.

6. johnbarnett

johnbarnett Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue. I reported it about three days ago (Tuesday 27th April 2012) after going through an extremely long winded and laborious procedure and have heard NOTHING. I AM NOT IMPRESSED.

7. mmika

mmika Pro

I've asked a problem report ID wich is not support ticked ID.
    There is no extremely long procedure, just click "Help->Report problem..." and share its ID here.

8. johnbarnett

johnbarnett Bit poster

Unable to Connect CD/DVD

OK,

I have done (for there third time) what you have requested, completed a three stage "Support Request". Though on this occasion I can't be certain that it has been sent as the last page showing the contact details, all of which have been completed stays on my screen after numerous presses on the SUBMIT button. I have added the number generated on this occasion 13908586. Also the number generated on the first occasion 63213-32776.

9. JuliaThorne

JuliaThorne Bit poster

Hi! Where do we contact the support team?Thanks. [​IMG]

10. unisplet

unisplet Bit poster