Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by veggiedude, May 31, 2007.

1. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Why did you pre-purchase the 3.0 version if you still had these as unknown "must haves"? For another $10 you could have waited until they were confirmed capabilities.

2. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Just consider what this software is for. This software is for to run another OS simultaneously on OSX. Thus this software worked for me so far. If Parallels did something extremely different with 3.0 which I extremely doubt as far as controlling the keyboard and mouse, 3.0 should work for me too.

I started this threat to hopefully get confirmation.

3. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Indeed, Apple's implentation is so much sexier. I admit I was a bit shy when Jobs redid the Quicktime Player (his first 'bold' move apparent to all users). I didn't like it at all. I was also dock shy but of course I've learned to look deeper and what I've found on the Mac is so much cooler than the crud I'd see in Windows (and mind you I've had Macs since 1985, I had the 2nd one in my home town) so that would stand to reason however OSX has been a long time coming for me. Something about having a kid and getting out of the industry I'd coddled up to for so long can do that to a person. I only two months ago got my first OS X Mac.

I really dig Parallels, I will find it neat to run games but honestly I use it for one simple proggy that I wish someone would do a Mac port of: jwpce, a Japanese text editor. I could almost write a word processor of jwpce's ilk dangit...what the hell am I doing posting here. I should be programming that. Gasp, I haven't touched code in, what, going on 6 years now. I'm so out of touch.

Cheers.

4. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Besides where's my beta version on 3.0? Where's anybody's beta version of 3.0 before they have to buy the final version? Except for the beta-testers, people have to pay for the final version before they can try it, right? Or did I miss something?

Also, my XP VM with my speakerphone modem is very important to me. Thus I'm scared to register as a beta-tester.

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

As I understand it, you have a working Parallels v2.5 now. The only "pressure" to buy the 3.0 release now is to save $10. I fail to see why it is necessary to order version 3 now, unless ten bucks is really that important to your budget. You could have waited until the early-adopters kicked its tyres, tried the demo version, and then paid $50 for the upgrade.

6. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Your questions contradict each other. First you want the beta, then you say you're scared to register.

Every version of Parallels I am aware of has had a free demo. What makes you think there won't be a demo of 3.0 when it's released?

7. justflybob

justflybob Member

Back to the future

Um, just for grins.... could we get back to the idea that this thread is about the soon-to-be-released Desktop for Mac 3.0?

I couldn't give a flying astabulah about IBM or MicroSnot. I come here for info on Parallels... Maybe you've heard of them?

Now for the weird part.

I received a call yesterday (6-1-07) from someone who identified themselves as a "***tern Region Solutions Manager" from Parallels. He wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing Parallels from the "test" version. I couldn't help but LMAO. I have been a registered user of Parallels 2.0 since March '07!

The phone call got me to thinking, so I came over here to the Forum and, Lo and Behold, a new version is coming out! What's even weirder is that I did NOT receive the upgrade email, but I DID receive an upgrade postcard in the mail that evening.

Parallels, I love you guys. However, I am seriously considering coming out of retirement to become VP of Sales and Marketing for your company.

Seriously folks, I could help. You have a winner here... provided you don't continue to irritate and isolate your user base. Your company needs a good kick in the butt and total reorganization, something that I have helped a number of successful Apple third party vendors achieve. Their success since my "astabulah kicking" reorg speaks for itself.

Cheers! :D

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I meant RC not beta. Usually RCs are pretty much stable.

I hope you're right about the demo.

9. AlanH

AlanH Pro

There's no reason why Parallels would change their demo policy now. Also, there's no real reason for you to jump to version 3 now if version 2.5 is doing the job for you.

There seems to be a general lemming-like need amongst users here to leap over the version 3 cliff just because it's there, and because Parallels are waving the price of a round of lattés in front of everyone as an incentive. Well, wake up and smell the coffee, guys. It's only ten bucks!

10. justflybob

justflybob Member

Oh, and about that Credit Card...

If you don't have enough room right this minute on whatever credit card you plan to use for the upgrade, then DON'T submit it.

Despite the claim that your credit card will not be charged, they are posting an authorization for the total amount immediately.

For today's banking purposes, an authorization will stay on your account, locking up those funds, for up to TWO WEEKS.

Pre-order buyer beware!

11. David5000

David5000 Pro

As you know, to be successful, marketing has to be driven from the top down. In this company, the guy at the top apparently likes what he sees happening. He probably thinks the company is as successful as it has been precisely because of his marketing strategy, not in spite of it.

David

12. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Hmm, he should take a few words of advice, the link in the 3.0 email for example does not point to a generic upgrade information page. Instead it records with an agency (who only costs Parallels money) the email address that clicked that link. I've also heard of calling via telephone which, last I checked, was frowned upon.

13. justflybob

justflybob Member

My point, sort of...

If the "guy at the top", as you put it, thinks his company is doing OK, then he needs to learn a lot more about Sales, Marketing and coherent Strategy.

The product seems to be doing OK so far, but they simply MUST get their suppprt and communications on the same page if they plan to be around for any length of time. And that is exactly why I would recommend a reorg. WAY too many loose ends and unanswered questions here.

In my humble opinion? If it weren't for these very forums, I doubt they would have the paid and installed user base that they seem to take for granted. They need this 3.0 release to be rock-solid, and so far the way they are going about it has been anything but solid.

But don't take my word for it. Just ask the folks at any of the former great companies like Atari, Compaq, Jasmine, Lotus, MacMemory, Micro Tech, etc. etc. etc. as to what it is like to work in a fabricated vacuum where no dissenting opinion is allowed, let alone heard. And change is something that only lesser companies do. My t-shirt collection from their glory days is all that remains...

And on another note....

What's the deal in here that your opinion only matters if you have a gazillion posts next to your name? Granted, some posters go off without giving anything a chance, but who gives a frig how many times you have posted? That's a not-so-subtle form of censorship, no matter how you slice it. :rolleyes:

14. purephase

purephase Junior Member

That's what pre-authorization does. This is standard practice. Have you ever booked a hotel room?

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

As an early advocate for an isolated beta program and forum I think it has been a huge success. The topics here have been pretty much limited to the released version for a long time, and the snarl of wondering which beta a user had problems with, or if it was a beta at all, are gone. The managed group has been pretty quiet about what they're testing and there have been surprisingly few leaks.

That single decision was a turning point for Parallels and Parallels Support staff. And your analysis is spot on. What we had here was amateurish and a blemish for Parallels.

16. collinong

collinong Junior Member

I purchased Parallels back last year after the initial release. Unfortunately, I lost my reg email due to a hard drive crash so I'm not sure what I qualify for. What are my options?

17. David5000

David5000 Pro

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that I agree with you about the company's marketing weaknesses, but that doesn't mean that they will listen to you. In fact, I think they are probably very satisfied with their marketing.

This is often the case when a strong product has little or no competition. Initial product demand can mask marketing weaknesses, which only become evident when competing products enter the market. In the meantime, the company risks mistakenly thinking that its success was due to superior marketing, when it is really the opposite: The product succeeded in spite of weak marketing.

David

18. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

How about a little confirmation on this by the Parallels team or by the beta-testers PLEASE.

Oh AlanH, I want 3.0 because I want the latest Parallels technology. Also believe it or not, I'm a beta-tester for the Morse code technology on the OSX.

The Morse code software for the OSX will be official sometime before next February hopefully. A small company in Canada called Madentec is creating it. Now, anymore questions?

19. Mac Write

Mac Write Member

I purchased Parallels on May 26, and received no welcome e-mail just a download link e-mail with no info on free upgrades.

20. vinneh

vinneh Member

LOL

OK DARKONE, WE GET IT! YOUR ON THE BETA TEAM!!!! you must be REALLY important.

oh, wait, doesn't announcing in a public forum that your in a beta project constitute a violation of your NDA? OH LOOKSIES, IT DOES!!!

nuff said?