Fedora 7

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by huthjonm, Jun 1, 2007.

1. huthjonm

huthjonm Bit poster

I downloaded Fedora 7 (the final release) and was able to install it only after telling Parallels that it was an Other Solaris operating system. However, when I try to boot into the installed system, it goes back and forth between a completely black screen and a black screen with the curser a number of times until it pops up with an error message saying something to the affect of the graphical server has restarted so many times in 90 seconds, which is probably bad.

Just wondering if anybody else has run into this problem and what they did about it. Thanks

2. unfletch

unfletch Bit poster

Same problem. I took some of the settings from my FC6 xorg.conf and added them to conf in F7. Here are the changes I made to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get things working (don't forget to back yours up before editing):

Added this section:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier   "Monitor0"
            ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
     ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
            HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
            VertRefresh  59.9 - 60.1
            Option      "dpms"
    EndSection
    Added this line to the Screen section block:

Code:
            Monitor    "Monitor0"
    Added this line to the Display subsection:

Code:
                    Modes    "1280x800" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    So there's no confusion, here's my entire working xorg.conf:

Code:
    # Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    	Driver      "kbd"
    	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "Monitor0"
    	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x800"
     ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
    	HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
    	VertRefresh  59.9 - 60.1
    	Option	    "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    		Modes    "1280x800" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Good luck!

--rick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  3. huthjonm

huthjonm Bit poster

I may just be stupid, but how do I get to the point where I can edit the xorg.conf file? When I boot it up, it starts up but goes into the black screen thing before I can change anything or log in but to a command line, etc.

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

doesnt CTRL ALT and F2 (or fn F2) drop you to a console ? also.. you could just boot up in single user mode and make the change.

5. vinneh

vinneh Member

after the xserver has finished crashing, and drops you to a shell do the following
    cd \etc\X11
    sudo nano xorg.conf <root pass when it asks>

or if you meant how to get to a shell just inturrupt lilo or grub and type linux single at the prompt

6. huthjonm

huthjonm Bit poster

Am I retarded or is something wrong? I interrupt GRUB, and it gives me one choice (Fedora). So I go to command line, but linux single is not a valid command.

Also, I suppose I could just not be waiting long enough, but the xserver seems to keep trying just about forever.

7. aclaver

aclaver Member

I hate to post this here but I solved this by installing FC7 on VMWare Fusion B3. It installed perfectly with all options detected automatically (except for the LCD screen size which I had to select).

As a bonus, they've integrated VMWare Tools into FC7 so you have integrated mouse and keyboard support between host and virtual host.

The last FC that worked for me on Parallels was FC5. I went to VMWare when FC6 wouldn't set up.

8. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

para who?

I first tried parallels with FC6, and with every new kernel I had to figure out what code to change so I could re-compile. Now with FC7 I have the problem all over again.

Apparently the Parallels people don't give a rip because they are too busy or something and don't update their software or respond to support requests by paying customers. Enjoy the money Parallels, I'm going back to VMware. Cheap software that doesn't work, still doesn't work. If I wanted something eternally broken I would be running M$.:mad:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  9. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

Fedora Core 5 6 and 7 work fine here on Parallels 3188.. before giving up and taking cheap shots, perhaps supplying descriptions of problems and any errors and we might be able to help.... if not.. enjoy Vmwares unsupported beta.... and enjoy paying again for Fusion when it gets released.

For reference, i started off in single user mode and changed the grub.conf to include agp=off on the end of the line. Then run up again and using CTRL+ALT+fn F2, dropped to a command line and reran system-config-display and reconfigured my desktop with an Generic LCD 1400x1050 panel and then set the desired resolution i wanted, then rebooted again.
    This solved the graphical issue of a blank flashing screen for me.

(for those who dont know how to get into Single user.. on the grub menu, press "e" then highlight the middle line and press "e" again, put the word "single" on the end of the line... hit enter and then "b" to boot from the highlighted line.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  10. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

ok.

Fair enough.
    The problem I have experienced, repeatedly and as shown in other posts, is the need to run parallels-config and re-compile with each kernel update, only to find that compiling fails, and it is due to references in prlnet.c to antiquated functions or simply code that has to be changed or added in order for the compile process to proceed.
    I know just enough about C to know I don't know enough to beat my way out of a bag so the end result is that with each kernel update I am forced to again seek the help of those more knowledgable than I. This is no big deal once in a while, but with every single update it becomes a very big deal.
    Not applying security and functionality updates is not an acceptable solution, so it seems to me that perhaps the code needs some examination and perhaps some updates of its own.
    Given functionality vs. cost compared to VMware, parallels is otherwise a realistic solution for a lot of people that want to virtualize, but JC man. The repeated compile issues have got to be corrected somehow.
    My previous outburst of frustration is based on the fact that in this forum it is evident that there are compile problems, and I have seen no updates that address this continuing issue, instead it seems to be approached piecemeal. In my opinion compile issues should be taken very seriously and solved in an update that is made generally available.
    <rant mode off>
    I like Parallels and have numerous containers already built. I'd love to be able to use them.

11. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

qwertyu,

Please check your forum PM box, I guess it can prove interesting for both of us :)