Parallels change VM icons

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Yoast, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Yoast

Yoast Bit poster

I'm using Parallels to emulate a not-so-common Linux distro, namely Backtrack. In Parallels, this is classified as 'other Linux', and is thus granded the widely known penguin icon. Now I'm trying to replace the icon with a custom one. I've searched through the Package contents of the .app file (perhaps I should've mentioned; I'm running Parallels 7 on MacOSX 10.6), but found zip.

Now when I open prl_client_app in Hex Fiend, I do find something interesting. It seems that a folder called /pixmaps/OsIcons contains the icons associated with the OS's. Bummer; I can't seem to find the folder. Does anyone know where this folder is? Or was it only existant during the compilation of the Parallels binaries and is the icon embedded in the prl_client_app file? Any general pointers?

For reference purposes; I'm talking about the icon in the virtual machine list, as displayed below.

[​IMG]

2. RickKr

RickKr Junior Member

3. Yoast

Yoast Bit poster

That howto is trying to accomplish something entirely different, namely just running Windows on Mac. One of the methods they suggest is obviously parallels, but that's the only overlap with this question.

4. RickKr

RickKr Junior Member

You know what? I sent you the wrong link. Sorry about that. I'll try to look for the link when I get time.

5. ThiagoB

ThiagoB Bit poster

Did you find a way? I'm looking too...