Where are linux pvm files?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by lewisb308, Feb 21, 2012.

1. lewisb308

lewisb308 Bit poster

In the past it was easy to find pre-packaged Linux pvm files on the Parallels site. I've spent several hours trying to locate them and now give up. Please, someone, provide a link to such a page.

Thanks.

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

PVMs are always in the same location - whether in User/Documents/Parallels/ or in /Users/Shared/Parallels/
    if you cannot find it - use Spotlight (enter ".pvm" to the search bar)

3. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

4. Hansvdm

Hansvdm Bit poster

Adding virtual appliance is not working for me

From virtual machines I choose new and I tried "continue without disk" and then choose e.g. ubuntu. Then the the virtual machine is indeed added to the list, but I can not do anything as it tells me - after trying HD, CD, floppy and network - that no boot device is available. I tried also exactly as on the video tutorial and try to install a blog server, but then this - or any other virtual appliance - does not show up at the virtual machine list. Opening the .pvm does not work either.
    I am using parallels desktop 6 for Mac on a Mac with mac OS X 10.7.3 and I5 intelprocessor.
    What is wrong?

5. Stuw

Hi Hansvdm,

Yes, you have no any boot device. You need to add existing virtual hard disk to this machine or create new one and install OS.

Did you get any error messages? Could you please send a problem report?

6. DustinP

DustinP Bit poster

Hello
    I'm also having a hard time locating it. Thanks. [​IMG]

7. Stuw

VM shoud be placed in ~/Documents/Parallels
    Also I've reproduced your case with Parallels Desktop 7. VM was registered for root.
    I checked it in Terminal:
    % prlctl list -a
    % sudo prlctl list -a

Also VM has incorrect permissions. This is the reason why it couldn't be added to VM list. To fix this type in terminal:
    sudo chmod -R a+rw ~/Documents/Parallels/<new_vm>.pvm
    For example:
    sudo chmod -R a+rw ~/Documents/Parallels/Blog\ Server\ Virtual\ Appliance.pvm

Thanks, I will report this issue.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Virtual Appliances Directory is pretty much dead and abandoned, the most recently updated appliance is dated 13 January.... of 2011.

There really doesn't appear to be much interest from Parallels in trying to have an updated Appliances Directory or having its format being widely used, nor supporting the Open Virtualization Format, so, when some organization or company releases their distro already packed as an appliance they will likely use the VMWare format with the VMWare tools installed, if Parallels made an effort to make building appliances for it's format more easy and open, it could eventually catch on.

9. Hansvdm

Hansvdm Bit poster

Hi, thanks for answering.
    I am a total rooky on linux (OS X), but with your remarks and a little try and error I got the blog server running. I had to unregister and register it again after changing rights. I did not see them do it on the video tutorial though ;-)
    But now the issue with e.g. ubuntu...
    I assumed that the whole idea of a virtual appliance was that it is an out of the box VM with OS. And why not? Ubuntu and others are free OS. What was/is now the use of such a virtual appliance if I apparently have to create/add a virtual disk and also install ubuntu on it. I can just start from scratch as it is almost the same. Or do I see it wrong?

thanks
    hans