Copy/Paste Drag/Drop with guest Lion

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Purple Ghost, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Purple Ghost

Purple Ghost Bit poster

Is drag/drop and/or copy/paste supposed to work between the host and an OS X Lion guest?

It's not working for me and I cannot find any options in the VM settings to enable this. There are no Copy/Paste options like there are for Windows VM's.

2. itsme

itsme Bit poster

Me neither. ??? Parallels 7, Snow Leopard Host, Lion VM. Works as usual with a Windows guest, just not Lion. It's frustrating having to use Shared Folders. Which still doesn't address copy/paste. Is this being looked into? Is it working for others?

Thanks!

3. JTred

JTred Bit poster

I'm also looking for this functionality.

4. LynnO

LynnO Member

Any update on this?

5. David MC

David MC Member

big fat "me too" on this. jeez, copy and paste? c'mon guys, that should be like top priority! :D

6. David MC

David MC Member

oh, and it should work 10.5 and 10.6 as well (guest OS), i shouldn't have to say that, but just covering my bases. I use 10.6 for regression testing, and to run all the apps that won't run on Lion, personally. Lack of copy/paste is a real productivity killer.

7. AndrewYo

AndrewYo Bit poster

me too

not working for me either. neither does file drag and drop from host to guest.

8. macavenger

macavenger Bit poster

Same here. Any solutions as of yet?

9. Brazilian Joe

Brazilian Joe Bit poster

No solution, but I suggest you guys/gals go to the support page and file bug reports, to highlight the importance of the issue. I've done it.

It is kind of unbelievable at this day and age to claim support for an OS and leave such a basic feature out, but I guess they wanted to be the first to market. At least I am not getting crashes or lockups, so my guess is they made it stable and left the 'we're working on it' part unreleased to avoid countless bug reports on flakey copy/paste.

Not endorsing it, just saying.

Just hope they add it in a 7.0 update, soon.

10. Brazilian Joe

Brazilian Joe Bit poster

I have confirmed with support, copy/paste for Lion guest is not yet implemented.

11. ourisman@california.com

ourisman@california.com Member

Copy-paste used to work, up to the last Parallels update … but it's now broken.

I'll see if I can find the support page and report this, but this is a major PITA.

12. Eric P

Eric P Bit poster

This works in Fusion. Really sad that it's not working in Parallels.

13. LynnO

LynnO Member

Between the lack of Copy/Paste and the fact that shared folders are (apparently) only updated when the VM starts, I've had to resort to use DropBox to transferring files back and forth. Can someone from Parallels comment on when the situation will be improved? At least fix the sharing problem, since it is a supported feature...please?

14. bling5

bling5 Bit poster

thanks for sharing this here.

15. JudeCoisne

JudeCoisne Bit poster

Hi! Are there new updates for this? [​IMG]

16. MerylS

MerylS Junior Member

Not operating on behalf of me either. Neither will file drag and drop from host to guest.

17. gnube

gnube Bit poster

I am flabbergasted

Not being able to cut & paste from my Mountain Lion (ML) host onto my ML guest?

There is no share clipboard option on the guest configuration panel (ie. it's on the Advanced panel on other OS's).

Parallels tools on ML seems basically to provide shared folders and auto mouse control.

I have setup Screen Sharing via System Preferences on my guest ML and can cut and paste over the network (not a workable long term solution obviously).

Is it true that clipboard sharing is not available? If so, is it going to me made available?

PS. Flabbergast

18. Eric P

Eric P Bit poster

Here we are on Parallels 7 and we STILL don't have cut and paste for Mac guest VM. Come on Parallels!! WTF?!

19. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi!

New version of Parallels Desktop 8 supports copy-paste for Mac OS X guests. Also it has Coherence support for Mac guests including Mountain Lion.

Alexander

20. Eric P

Eric P Bit poster

Hallelujah! Can't wait to try it and to get rid of Fusion.