Help with Sharing VPN Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by James G, Apr 4, 2012.

1. James G

James G Bit poster

Hello All,

I just bought and installed Parallels and Windows 7 on my iMac running OS X 10.7.3.

My work uses a VPN solution (Connectra Portal with SSL Network extender) that doesn't really work on the mac.

I can VPN into work from my Windows install and access all internal networks, but when I switch over to a mac program (Safari or iTerm, for example), I cannot access any of work's internal networks.

Does anyone know of a way I can do this? It seems the Windows install and mac OS X have separate network connections.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

james

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

It is not officially supported

3. James G

James G Bit poster

I know it's not officially supported; I was just hoping that someone might have figured it out.

Thanks anyway.

4. JudeCoisne

JudeCoisne Bit poster

Hi, its not really supported. Hope to have something interesting and useful. [​IMG]

5. DarbinR

DarbinR Bit poster

I had a similar problem. My company provides us with a proprietary windows .exe for connecting to their VPN. Like the original poster, in many cases it would be nice for me
    to have OS X also connected to the same VPN. My first thought was "perhaps parallels can share the VPN connection with OS X via some configuration settings".
    Unfortunately, I never found any such Parallels configuration to do this.

Ultimately, I was able to achieve the same end goal by adding a VPN connection in OS X's network preferences. General instructions on how to do that
    can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11067

The difficult part is to finding out the correct VPN details you need when configuring the VPN connection in OS X's network preferences.

These details are case specific, so I can't help with that. If your case is similar to mine, inside your parallels windows VM (win7 for me):

1. Connect to your VPN however you normally do it.
    2. In my case, once connected to the VPN, "open network and sharing center" in windows, then click on "change adaptor settings". For me, there was an adaptor specifically for my
    VPN. When connected, double clicking on the VPN adaptor icon displays all the VPN details I needed.