Parallels Tools Installs Every Time I Launch XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wuttja, Jun 2, 2007.

1. wuttja

wuttja Bit poster

I had a clean install of XP2 running in Parallels working just fine. For some reason I wanted to be certain I had installed Parallels Tools, so I clicked Actions > Install Parallels Tools. Sounds good so far.. well, now every time I launch a Windows program from my dock with my VM paused, it resumes Windows, launches the program, and then tries to install Parallels Tools again. No matter how many times I install, it comes up every single time. I have tried to uninstall Parallels Tools via the Windows Add/Remove Programs utility then reinstall, same problem. I have removed Parallels via the Uninstall program in the latest DMG, then reinstall Parallels but the problem remains. I can cancel the installation and it works fine, but it is annoying and frustrating to get this popping up every single time I launch Windows after it has been paused. Anyone else run into this? Know of a fix? I searched the forum but was not able to find this issue (could be my searching abilities as well). Thanks.

2. mjmac

mjmac Bit poster

Awhile back after installing an update, I had the same problem. Ended up that Parallels Tools had created a disk image of itself and it was mounting the image in the CD/DVD ROM every time I booted. All I did was select Default CD/DVD ROM from the Device Pull Down Menu and it went away.

3. Leonard

Leonard Member

Thanks! That did the trick for me.

4. wuttja

wuttja Bit poster

Thank you! This has been driving me nuts.

-Jason