Outlook 2010 w/out MS Office in Parallels Window 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fairshake1000, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fairshake1000

Fairshake1000 Bit poster

I am not interested in purchasing Microsoft Office, however, I have discovered that MS Outlook can be purchased alone.

If I run Outlook in Parallels / Windows 7, will it it play nice with my Outlook Express (under Parallels) ?

Will I be able to receive Excel files and open them in Outlook? I do not need to work with the files in Excel.

Anybody know?

I actually have Microsoft Office for Mac (no Outlook though) running on my Mac side and work with Excel files just fine... but I want Outlook over on the Parallels side.

DH

2. takeshi74

takeshi74 Bit poster

Why would you expect Outlook to open Excel files? If you try to open an Excel file in Outlook it will launch Excel.

3. Fairshake1000

Fairshake1000 Bit poster

I do not own Excel or any other Microsoft Office products for Windows. I dumped PC's and all Microsoft products back in 1998 and moved to Mac.

My new job requires me to use Outlook and that's all.

On my Mac, I installed Parallels and Windows 7 so I can install Outlook.

I have no interest in purchasing or using Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc...

Since you can purchase Outlook alone for $139.00, and if I install it on the Parallels/Windows side of my Mac, what problems will I encounter? Is it a standalone product or not? Must I purchase Excel to make Outlook operate?

I do happen to own the Mac versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Messenger but they are not on the Parallels / Windows side and I have never used them. There is Outlook for Mac available, but you have to buy the entire MS Office Package (ugh)

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I don't think you'll be able to double-click on an Excel attachment in Win/Outlook and expect Mac/Excel to open up. You can, though, save the attachment somewhere and then double click it (in Windows) which will then open Excel on the Mac, once you've set up Parallels for that.
    However, that seems a costly way to proceed: Cost for Parallels + cost for Windows + cost for Outlook -> seems to me you'll be cheaper off with Office 2011 for Mac which includes Outlook.

5. Fairshake1000

Fairshake1000 Bit poster

Thank you Shaddan IV, however, I could not find satisfactory answers and business was backing up and had to make a fast decision, so I recognized that buying Parallels and Windows was an expensive mistake. I went with MS Office for Mac, just to get Outlook and to ensure sure that it would all work smoothly right away.

I am totally fine with the super cheap Keynote, Numbers and Pages, so don't need Word, Excel, Powerpoint ... oh well.

Problem solved. I suppose if anybody wants me to run some other Windows software in the future, I'll be ready.

Anyhow, now simultaneously running Mac OS 10.7 Lion with MS Office for Mac on one of Lion's desktops, Windows 7 via Parallels on another, and about to get Sheepshaver Emulation to run Mac OS 8.5 to run my older but useful Mac creative programs instead of buying newer ones... so there's some savings. Thanks again guys...

6. jburke9

jburke9 Bit poster

Outlook for the Mac?

Why would you not just purchase the Mac Version of Outlook instead?

7. JuanPMB

JuanPMB Bit poster

Outlook for Mac

I just transitioned from PC to Mac. The program I use more frequently is Outlook. I bough Office 2011 but Outlook in that version has nothing to do with Outlook 2010.
    I just installed Office 2010 on my W7VM and Outlook works perfectly. The only problem I am having is with the reminders, they don't appear on my Mac desktop (they don't appear at all).
    What I would like is to run Outlook on W7VM and have the Mac recognize it as the default email, calendar, contacts program and have it work "like a Mac".
    If anyone know how to please send me a note.
    Thanks.