Parallels Displays Incorrect Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BeverlyP, Apr 26, 2012.

1. BeverlyP

BeverlyP Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac Build 7.0.15094 on a 17" Macbook Pro.

My guest OS is 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, which I run in Modality mode.

I installed some Windows updates this morning, which changed the configurations (screen resolution, etc). In the past, I resolved that by:
    1) Reinstalling Parallels Tools
    2) Rebooting
    3) Correcting my screen resolution to 1920x1200
    4) Rebooting
    I was able to change my screen resolution to 1920x1200, but Parallels does not display it at that resolution. Because of that, all of my mouse movements are off, which makes it extremely difficult to do anything. For example, in order to move a window, I have to click well below the title bar. This occurs whether I use my laptop's trackpad or a USB trackball.

I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools several more times, all to no avail.

I don't recall making any Parallel's setting changes.

What must I do to make modality mode recognize my Windows screen resolution and display it properly?

Thanks!

2. BeverlyP

BeverlyP Bit poster

As I did not get any replies, I was about to give up on Parallels. However, I thought that I'd boot to Windows one more time before I did that. I got a black screen and it hung OS X, so I had to shut down by hitting the on/off button, which I don't like doing. When I restarted Parallels & Windows again, it asked me whether I wanted to start in safe mode -- I started in normal mode. Lo & behold, this time Parallels displayed in the correct screen resolution.

I have no idea as to what occurred here. I had rebooted many times before i posted about this last week, so I have no idea as to why one more reboot would make any difference at all. It does leave me with an unsettled feeling.

3. mercy

mercy Parallels Developers

Hello, BeverlyP

I'm working with your problem and trying to reproduce it on my machine without success. But I need more information.
    First of all, make a Problem Report from your VM. To do it you can go to menu Help -> Report a Problem. Reply me with a Problem Report ID number.
    Did you upgrade your VM from previous Parallels Desktop major version (for instance PD5, PD6)? Which one?

Thank you for your help

4. BeverlyP

BeverlyP Bit poster

Given that the problem went away by itself, do you still want me to do that Problem Report? I won't be able to duplicate the problem.

I previously used VMWare Fusion 4.x. When I got PD7, it automatically converted that VM to a PD7 VM last year.

I've done a number of MS Windows 7 updates and this is the first time that I've encountered that problem.