Mac won't shut down

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by EDPvideo, Feb 22, 2012.

1. EDPvideo

EDPvideo Bit poster

I am running Parallels Desktop for Mac 7 and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro running Lion (10.7.3). When I try to shut down my MacBook Pro, it gets to the grey screen and the wheel spins and spins. It never shuts down anymore. I have to force it to shut down. When I reboot, everything is fine (until I shut down again). Someone suggested Parallels can cause this. Anyone experience this, and if so, how did you fix it?

FYI - I have reset the PRAM and also repaired the disk permissions. Neither helped.

2. Bobby8795

Bobby8795 Bit poster

Unfortunately, something in the launch daemon prevents the computer from shutting down. You can remove it from Macintosh HD>Library>Launch Daemons, but doing so will make Parallels not work. Suffering from the same problem

3. EDPvideo

EDPvideo Bit poster

Hope someone from Parallels jumps in with a solution.

4. MikeD7

MikeD7 Bit poster

I have had this problem since Parallels 6, on two different Macs. The "solution" is before you shut down or reboot your Mac, to completely close Parallels, go into terminal, and enter the following command:

sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

It'll ask you for your Mac's password to shut this down.

In reviewing my shutdown logs, the problem is that the Parallels Launch Daemon never shuts down. Why the Mac just doesn't force the daemon to shut down, I do not know.

- Mike.

5. EDPvideo

EDPvideo Bit poster

This sounds like a risky solution. Has Parallels ever commented on this, or acknowledged that this is a problem they are addressing?

6. MikeD7

MikeD7 Bit poster

Unfortunately, Parallels has never commented on this. V6 used to do this as well, but when I upgraded to V7 the behavior stopped. At some update, it started again.

It's not risky at all -- it just kills a process/service running in the background. Obviously, you only want to do this when you are going to reboot (and after you've shut down Parallels), or otherwise Parallels won't start unless you do reboot.

- Mike.

7. EDPvideo

EDPvideo Bit poster

Here is a new twist. I noticed that after I have forced a shut down and do a restart, this process/service (com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon) does not show as running when I view the Activity Monitor. And even so, if I do a shutdown, it does not shut down. So do I have a different problem, or does that service not show up in Activity Monitor. Just wondering since I can't shut down a service that isn't running. Also, since I have the problem when it isn't running (clean boot and have not run Parallels), I wonder if it is something else. I do see that Parallels Desktop Control Agent is running even after a clean boot and never loading Parallels. Could that be something I need to shut down too?

8. imorton

imorton Bit poster

Same Issue

I have been reading this thread because I am having the same issue. My Macbook Pro, 8 gig Ram, with a SSD used to shutdown in @ 3-4 seconds, yet since going to Lion ( clean install & Migration Assistant) the shutdown takes @ 45-60 seconds.

By checking the console logs, i would take a guess that it is related to a Parallels service or LaunchAgent / LaunchDaemon etc.....

I hope we can find a resolution since I miss it shutting down in seconds... :)

IAN.

9. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi all

Does problem exist if no VMs are running?
    Please send a problem report and post it's number here. If Parallels Desktop doesn't respond during long shutdown process wait for a few minutes, shutdown your Mac and generate a problem report on next start.
    We will try to investigate this problem.

Thanks.

10. ChristinaB

ChristinaB Bit poster

I am having the same problem on Lion 10.7.4, can't shut down. QUESTION, how do you generate a problem report on next start

11. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Use "Help"->"Report a Problem" menu in Parallels Desktop.

12. DavidE291

DavidE291 Bit poster

Re: Stuw Problem report

Yes the problem exists without VM running. The report number is 16685925. My problem is the computer waking from sleep by itself and not allowing shutdown by restarting.
    Thanks

13. Njt123

Njt123 Bit poster

Same problem

If I do a clean boot and never open Parallels or a VM, macbook shuts down.

If I opens paralles or a VM in a session, even if I have shut down the VM/closed parallels then then the Mac will not shutdown.

Solution: do not use paralllels, and the Mac will always shutdown. Use a different VM piece of software, it is not healthy for your Mac if you always have to hard crash it and it never shuts down.

Has been an issue for over a year now, paralllels 6, 7 and all the latest updates in between. Clearly parallels are not interested in fixing it and have worse bugs to fix in their software.

14. jrbookwalter

jrbookwalter Bit poster

My MacBook Pro with Retina Display does shut down, but boy, does it take a long time compared to forcing a shutdown of com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon -- my mid-2010 27-inch iMac also had an insanely long shutdown time, but I never bothered to search for the problem until now.

Seems like this is something Parallels needs to address and soon -- there's got to be a way for them to disable the launchdaemon whenever a Restart or Shutdown is initiated, right? Otherwise, quite happy with the software...

JRB

15. hyperspasm

hyperspasm Bit poster

I just want to say that I too have had this problem for quite some time now. I'm voting for a bug fix too, if anyone from Parallels is listening. Force quitting the daemon does allow my computer to shutdown. It seems like the Parallels application could just do this for us on exit, I don't see any need to have the daemon running if the Paralles app isn't running.

16. Kreztastic

Kreztastic Bit poster

I too have this problem and have had it since upgrading to version 10.7 of the OS. I've been in the Apple store and we confirmed that the Parallels Daemon is hanging and won't shutdown. Apple did release a patch to their OS which will "force quit" hanging processes after a while (thus the long shutdown time) but this doesn't resolve the problem of the daemon running indefinitely. The biggest problem I have now is when Parallels sends out a patch, I have to run the installer which attempts to uninstall Parallels which it can't since the installer cannot stop the Daemon. I eventually have to shut the computer down and restart. Upon restarting, I can install Parallels just fine.

17. andysbit

andysbit Bit poster

stopping the VM seems to allow the MAC to shutdown

under lion and Parallels 7 (both up to date) I have the same shutdown problem.
    Stopping the VM before shutting down (I used to suspend it, for convenience, but then I could not shutdown my MAC) seems to solve the "stuck in shutdown" problem

I would still like a patch, but I can live with this solution.

18. Kreztastic

Kreztastic Bit poster

andysbit, were you able to upgrade your parallels easily when they pushed out the latest mountain lion patch? I was not able to do it without running the installer, waiting for it to hang because it couldn't kill the daemon, force a reboot of my computer (since Mountain Lion doesn't let you reboot during an install), then reinstall parallels. This is my only issue now. I can kill processes to shutdown but updating Parallels is a bit of a pain.

19. andysbit

andysbit Bit poster

I did not upgrade parallels:
    I had to re-install everything from scratch following a hardware fault and I bought the upgrade to 7 to go with Mountain Lion.
    I had the shutdown problem with Parallels 6 as well, but at least with 6 I could shut the Mac down by doing it twice, as the first time it complained that Parallels halted the shutdown; with Parallel 7 I get no message on the screen, but it prevents altogether the shutdown (cogwheel turning indefinitely).

20. Dashpilot

Dashpilot Bit poster

Kaspersky solution

I have had the same problem since installing Parallels 7 on my iMac 10.7. Tonight I found a fix on Apple Support Communities. It turns out that Kaspersky Antii-virus program was causing the endless spinning. Once I removed the Kaspersky program and MacKeeper removed three files that were not deleted during the un-install, my iMac shut down on its own for the first time since installing Parallels (which kaspersky comes with).

Not sure this will help anyone. In my case it has solved the problem :)