Reuse license key after re-install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by finnebobbel, May 2, 2012.

1. finnebobbel

finnebobbel Bit poster

Hi there - my MBA decided to pass away. I just bought a new one and -lucky me- I also have a recent back-up on my time capsule incl my Windows install wrapped in Parallels 6. So if I was to move that image to my new MBA I wonder how I can also transfer the Paralells license key from the old MBA to the new one. Unfortunately, the old MBA is longer accesible but I kept the license key documentation at least. Sorry for asking a potentially naive question but tnx in advance for answering it irrespectively.

Bests

finnebobbel

2. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hello finnebobbel,

We appreciate you reaching out in our forums.

With regard to your post, it is possible to reinstall your copy of Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac into another Machine. The only limitation is that you can only have 1 key installed onto 1 host Mac machine at a time.

Regards,
    --
    The Parallels Team

3. finnebobbel

finnebobbel Bit poster

Hi there - I figured that, that's why I asked. What do I need to do in order to be able to use the re-installed Parallels on my NEW MBA? Would the license key be 'unlocked' if I was to uninstall Parallels on on the old MBA (although that may prove to be difficult given it literally is a goner).

4. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Hello finnebobbel,

Given your previous Macbook is out of commission, you should not run into any issues when doing a fresh install of Parallels Desktop for Mac onto your new machine.

Thank you,
    --
    The Parallels Team

5. finnebobbel

finnebobbel Bit poster

Hi there - it worked. Now for another challenge. My MBA is a brand-new Lion-equipped one. I migrated everything off my time capsule, incl. the Parallels 6 installation which has XP SP3 as a guest O/S. The issue is to make sure, the German keyboard of my new MBA works as flawlessly with Parallels as the old MBA with a US keyboard did. I already changed the language settings in Windows but in the list of available languages, I could only find Swiss German but oddly enough couldn't find "German/German". I read all sorts of things about getting additional drivers through Bootcamp installed but it doesn't work, i.e. I cannot get the right driver to properly enable my German keyboard within the Parallels world also because Lion doesn't come with an installation CD or USB stick (unlike the previous MBA on Snow Leopard). Is there any chance to fix this as a life without the "@"-key and other oddities in fact is quite miserable. Sorry for asking a potentially stupid question.

6. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

7. finnebobbel

finnebobbel Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

8. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

Did the Knowledge Base article we provided you with not address your issue?