Parallels Tools Ubuntu 12.04

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by KrishP, May 2, 2012.

1. KrishP

KrishP Bit poster

I have googled and googled but to no avail, but I have Parallels 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 and after 2 installs of the distro cannot get Parallels Tools to install.
    I CD to media/Parallels\ Tools, run the installer with a sudo ./install and the GUI shows up, asks first time round if i want to download things to install with or something and then once it starts installing, it just says error and gives up.
    I've also moved all the files into a folder on my Desktop, but cannot run the install file once it is there.
    It isn't 'green' coloured in terminal from an ls command like it is in the CD drive, and whenever I try to run it, it reads permission denied (after a sudo sh install or even sudo -s -H then ./install).

I have no idea what to do!

log files read

Tue May 1 22:27:15 BST 2012 Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools Installed Guest Tools were not found Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory Start installation of prl_eth kernel module make: Entering directory /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods' cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make make[1]: Entering directory/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet' make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic-pae/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic-pae' LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c: In function ‘pvmnet_setup’: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:402:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’ /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:403:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’ /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:404:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’ /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:405:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’ /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:406:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘init’ /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:408:5: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘set_multicast_list’ make[3]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o] Error 1 make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic-pae' make[1]: * [all] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet' make: *** [all] Error 2 make: Leaving directory/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods' Error: could not build kernel modules Error: failed to install kernel modules 2012-05-01T22:27:16+0100: execCmd: ./install --install [143] 2012-05-01T22:27:16+0100: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information. 2012-05-01T22:31:53+0100: Exiting with code 1

Cheers!

2. KrishP

KrishP Bit poster

no-one ? :(

3. SnakeGod

SnakeGod Bit poster

Ok, I got it for you.

Type - cd media/"Parallels Tools" (quotes needed)
    Then - sudo ./install

4. JPraxis

JPraxis Bit poster

Hi, it took me several times to find the right directory so let me give youmy step by step.
    First open the terminal and switch to the right directory:

XXXXXXXX-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:~$ cd /media

XXXXXXX-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/media$

we got to the right directory, but looks like the folder name has changed, so I hit DIR to tell me what I was looking for.

XXXXXX-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/media$ dir
    floppy floppy0 Parallels\ Tools

XXXXXX-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/media$ cd Parallels\ Tools

XXXXXX-Parallels-Virtual-Platform:/media/Parallels Tools$ sudo ./install

I hope that helps you... my mouse and tools seem to be working fine

5. KrishP

KrishP Bit poster

yeah i've gotten to this stage, as shown by my logs ive posted. ive run the installer, got the GUI, and then it fails..

6. PScion

PScion Bit poster

I had the same problem you have, I think it's caused by the fact I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I've installed the available updates (one of them was a newer kernel) after the Parallels Tools, so the modules built were no longer compatible after the required reboot (at least in my case).
    What I've done (and you could try to do the same):
    - Check the kernel version you're currently using ('uname -r')
    - Install Synaptic ('sudo apt-get install Synaptic')(not needed, but it makes the things easier, I can't see the kernel packages in Ubuntu Software Center)
    - Search for 'linux-' among installed packages
    - Remove all the installed 'linux-image-*' and 'linux-headers-*' packages different from the kernel version you're currently using (remove even the metapackages 'linux-image' and 'linux-headers-generic', just keep only the 'linux-image-*' and 'linux-headers-*' that match the kernel version you're using)
    - Start again the Parallels Tools installation but choose remove (it should complete the uninstall without problem)
    - It will ask you to reboot, do it
    - After the reboot, install the Parallels Tools and (hopefully) everything will be alright
    I Hope this helps you.
    P.S. I am not a native English speaker, sorry for any grammatical errors.

7. JPraxis

JPraxis Bit poster

I saw your message earlier that it was failing after ther GUI screen ... actually mine was failing right at that step too and my installation had Unity running in 2D, but was otherwise functioning. I couldn't get the installer to run from the desktop when I moved the files there either. I really had no idea why or what to do ... I had installed through an upgrade process the first time, so I just made a new installation from the .iso to see if that would work. It seemed to clear up my problems ... I had to move a lot of files and reinstall a number of programs, so it was a pain, but it works and it feels good to start fresh.

8. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

9. KrishP

KrishP Bit poster

yeah, same boat mate, tried re-installing without adding upgrades, still failed me ...
    even tried that synaptic package removal, didn't help, (pretty sure i did it right o.0), and now im wondering if im missing crucial files LOL....
    anyone else got any killer solutions? im running Build 7.0.14922 of Parallels if that helps btw

10. Daniele Ricciardi

Daniele Ricciardi Bit poster

Same here, when i try to install Parallels tools (last build) on Ubuntu 12.04 they doesn't work

11. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

Update your Parallels... Build 7.0.15094 is available, and it added "experimental" support for Ubuntu 12.04. Builds prior to this would not support Precise.

12. Daniele Ricciardi

Daniele Ricciardi Bit poster

I exactly have that build and parallels tool don't work

13. JakubL

JakubL Junior Member

It seems as an similar error I've had with Parallels Workstation Tools. I've posted a proposed solution in this thread.

14. BillHall

BillHall Bit poster

Works after latest parallels update

I just ran the latest parallels 7 update. After completing the update parallels tools installed successfully.

15. TomStratton

TomStratton Bit poster

The answer to the 12.04 Upgrade problems

Is to be found here...
    http://dev.taherh.org/2012/05/10/upgrading-to-ubuntu-12-04/

I then upgraded to 12.04. After the reboot to complete the 12.04 upgrade process, there were two problems:

The error message an error occurred while mounting psf (meaning broken Parallels Shared Folders)
    The mouse not working in the VM
    Fixing these problems required reinstalling Parallels Tools (without using the mouse!). Luckily some keyboard shortcuts came in handy: after rebooting with the fresh 12.04 upgrade, use Ctrl-Alt-t to open a terminal window. Then cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/, and run sudo ./install --install. Finally, sudo shutdown -r now, and youll reboot into a fully working Ubuntu 12.04 setup.

16. davodavo

davodavo Bit poster

Success!

Thank you for that info, I am a complete newbie with Linux, didn't know where to start!
    I just installed Ubuntu 12-04 (and installed all the updates) and was tearing my hair out trying to install Parallel Tools (P T), the info that popped up when I clicked on P T was about much use as a clockwork sandwich.
    So I upgraded to Parallels 8.0 and at least that did give me better info when I clicked on P T, and I could see the virtual CD on the desktop, however I was still stuck so looked here (first place Google led me to) and entered this:
    "cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/"
    and then:
    "sudo ./install"
    and it worked!
    Thank you Tom!

17. MakkerM

MakkerM Bit poster

Thank you very much TomStratton and davodavo,

Struggling for days (and nights) I succeeded finally to update my Parallels Tools thanks to your information. As a noob on Terminal I tried to type to the letter of the information in the Parallels Desktop User's Guide (starting from page 154 ) to install Parallels Tools (outdated after installing!) in Linux 12.04 .
    Even the command 'su' did not work because my administrator password did not give me access.
    Removing and fresh installing did not help. Reading the Ubuntu instructions did. I must use 'sudo'. If your familiar with this; no problem, if your not, it can take hours as with me.
    To make this story short. All efforts to use the Guide look like a battle between the terminal and me.
    But finding this forum was a real blessing.
    Just two commands and it works.

'cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/'

'sudo ./install'

What can the world be simple. Again thanks to Tom and davodavo.

One wish: why not put these two plain lines into the User's Guide?

Makker

18. _Art__

_Art__ Bit poster

incompatibility of parallels and ubuntu 12.04 LTS

This does not work on Build 7.0.15107 (Revision 796624; September 3, 2012).
    Parallels tools corrupt graphic drivers and all I can get is 800x600 and no mouse sharing.
    But, folder sharing option is working.

Moreover, Parallels could download Ubuntu for your (2 gb image!!!) an it resets every 5 sec. Support says, it might be because of the pour internet connection.
    Sounds like they have no clue what CRC check is in 21 century :(

Chances to run two OS without freezes on i7 2nd Gen equal zero.

I'm extremely disappointed!

I'd really appreciate any help. Their support is completely useless.
    Thanks.

19. PaulH6

PaulH6 Bit poster

Hello, I am experiencing the same issue. I have parallels 8 and just downloaded ubuntu 15.10. I followed your thread and I was wondering how did you find the path for the kmods zip folder?

20. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi PaulH6, We understand that you were unable to install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 15.10 on Parallels Desktop 8, it is because Ubuntu 15.10 is not supported as a guest operating system on Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, the following Ubuntu Linux version 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04 are supported as Guest Operating Systems on Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac.
    You need to use latest version Parallels Desktop to run Ubuntu 15.10 as a guest operating system.