Promo: upgrade or full product?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by faquin, Jun 5, 2007.

1. faquin

faquin Bit poster

Hi,
    I didn't undestand quiet well the promo (until 6th). Is that only an upgrade, or is this a full product, for $39?

2. wesley

wesley Pro

My understanding is that Parallels only puts out 'full product' versions. The 'upgrade' is purely from a payment standpoint.

3. faquin

faquin Bit poster

great ! you have a new customer.

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Will the 39.95 version work if you do not have a previous version installed?

5. UKP

UKP Member

No, which is why it's called an Upgrade :)

You need a fully activated working version of 2.0 or 2.5 for the 3.0 upgrade key to work.

6. Ankou

Ankou Guest

UKP right, if you have fully activated 2.2 or 2.5 version you'll get 3.0 only for $39

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  7. Jack Dumphy

Jack Dumphy Member

Great ! In that case your marketing guys did a brilliant job to confuse people. The "save 50% thing" makes no sense for me, because I would just save 10$ with an update.
    Anyway... I like Parallels and the price is ok, but I don't like statements like that. sorry!! :mad:

8. faquin

faquin Bit poster

What?? But I already bought it, after wonder_mice's post !!!
    I don't have Parallels Desktop, so what now?

9. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Please excuse us for any confusion caused. You may have misunderstood our upgrade policy. Could you check your PM folder?

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If it becomes necessary to re-install OS X and the pre-order Parallels from scratch because of a failed hard drive, is it necessary to install Parallels version 2.5 first then 3.0?

11. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello, dkp
    It's not necessary to install 2.5 before 3.0, because Parallels 3.0-is not a simple update, it's a major update.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  12. UKP

UKP Member

I think what dkp might mean is, if the 3.0 key is just an upgrade key, and he reinstalls OSX for whatever reason, because the key is an upgrade key, will he have to reinstall 2.5, use the 2.5 key, then upgrade to 3.0 to be able to use the 3.0 upgrade key?

What would be nice is once you have successfully upgraded to 3.0 from 2.5, your key then becomes a full key, so you can just reinstall 3.0.

13. Ankou

Ankou Guest

To reinstall Parallels 3.0, enter your 2.5 key and then 3.0 update key

14. davide

davide Member

I bought the upgrade, and got this:

Thank you for upgrading to Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0! Parallels will
    email you your upgrade key for Parallels Desktop 3.0 as soon as it’s
    released. To use your 3.0 activation key, you must have already activated
    Parallels Desktop 2.5. Your 3.0 activation key will not activate 2.5.

YOUR UPGRADE ACTIVATION KEY: [removed]

It says Parallels will mail me an "upgrade" key in the future, and thenit also mentions using an "activation" key. But I also received an "upgrade activation" key in the email.

How many keys are there to be used?

15. AlanH

AlanH Pro

My guess is that the first statement about a future key is incorrect. You have the 3.0 key. You just need the software.