BSOD prl_vadd.dll Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GenevieveH, May 15, 2012.

1. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

So, lately when I'm playing Mass Effect 3 in certain locations (currently 2 different side mission & ending point) it Blue screens, "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" it mentions "prl_vadd.dll" as the possible cause.
    repeats on reload/replay, even when backtracking in game itself.
    sometumes, though not always sound will stutter, other times cutscene just freezes before bringing up the blue screen.

yet the game itself had played fine, without issues before. and still does.
    not sure if there is anything I could do?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

i suggest you to remove Parallels `tools according to the KB http://kb.parallels.com/8969 , after it run the chkdsk /f and reinstall Tools back

3. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

Tried to uninstall from Control Panel, it gave message that "prl_vamp.sys" is needed, after that it gets a copy error http://i46.tinypic.com/25eurkl.png

is Parallels Desktop 7 supposed to have one or two discs?

Update: canceled/closed it, it restarted after saving that the Tools were successfully uninstalled, it got a "recovered from serious error" message

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

I think my Parallels Desktop 7 installation disc got messed up somehow? can't reinstall Parallel tools ('new hardware' bubble appears but it can't find what it needs/wants on disc). Only discs I have are "Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac" (which now has only some transporter) & windows xp install disc

5. GaloPT

GaloPT Bit poster

I'm having the same problem with the game NBA 2k12. This happens always at the same point, at halftime on the "HP halftime report". I have a early 2011 Macbook Pro, with Intel HD 3000.

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

Please use the kb i have provided in a proper way - it deskribes how to remove parallels tools and all the instances which may left manually

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

8. GaloPT

GaloPT Bit poster

Thanks for the helpful link.

To everyone who's having this issue please follow all the instructions in the link. I tried only uninstalling Parallels Tools and it didn't work for me. I had to follow the steps involving cleaning the registry entries and the temporary files folder to be able to pass this issue.

Thanks again

9. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

sorry for BUMP. Tried following/checking Knowledge Base, tried followed steps from a support ticket I put up, got stuck on it's step 11 out of 12 because it SPECIFICALLY wanted a Certain File OFF of the PARALLELS INSTALLATION Disc, which is something else entirely now.
    Tried reinstalling Win XP, my Mass Effect 3 game STILL gets this error at 3 specific points in the game (so it has been Re-installed since)

Still Not Solved for me.

EDIT: I'm using PD7 (Parallels Desktop 7)

10. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

well, still having blue screen problem even after following yet again the Knowledge Base...
    same area, same "prl_vadd.dll"

I'm wondering if it is the Version of the Parallel Tools, or some Parallels Desktop version update that messed it up somehow?

11. GaloPT

GaloPT Bit poster

I had been having this problem on and off... thinking that I had solved it and then it would reappear. But well... if it helps anyone, at least for me, upgrading to Windows 7 solved this issue.

12. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

Hmm, it seems to be some sort of Video Memory issue, I upped my VM's to 1GB, that game's scene plays better but still gets the blue screen. Maybe if it could go higher than 1GB...

Well, I have the game downloading on a Win7 iMac's bootcamp...
    but still would have liked for this game to run fine as it had before, not 1 problem before some sort of Parallels/Parallels Tools update e_e

13. TanPham

TanPham Bit poster

It worked!

The trick to fix this is to go and search for the file: prl_vadd_dll

Search will give you the list of those files.

Look for the oldest version. It should be around March

Copy that file and replace it with all the new file from the different folders.

It should work.

14. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

would you or someone happen to have a March version?
    only version I have is from April 5th...

(windows xp, home, service pack 3)

15. TanPham

TanPham Bit poster

Old Prl_Vadd.Dll

It happened to me few months ago when there was an update. I did that trick and it worked. Parallels came out with another update last week and same thing happened. Did the same trick and it worked again. I don't play Mass Effect. I play Aion. I'm assuming it's the same related issue. I uploaded my prl file. Hope it works for you. Let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtpp4ac1srflrvp/prl_vadd.dll

16. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Bit poster

That's great! This seems to work!
    I updated PD7 from 15055 to 15098 and replaced the DLL.
    My game - Eve Online - seems to run as stable as under 15055. No more BSOD.

17. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

sorry late reply...

how about replacing the one in C:\WINDOWS\system32 ?
    might be that one specifically giving me trouble... but not as easy to replace this one, as it says its 'in use by another person or program'

18. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Bit poster

For replacing the prl_vadd.dll I shut down the virtual machine.
    Then I mounted the Windows HDD using the Parallels Mounter (right-click on the virtual machine bundle in Finder).
    When the VM is stopped there's no problem to replace the file.

19. TanPham

TanPham Bit poster

You don't need to do all that. Just rename the file that you cant delete to something else. That way you can paste in the old prl file.

20. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

thanks, off to test with another game - got Supreme Commander 2, it been doing same error. even replacing don't work. did the quoted as well.

and Supreme Commander 2 crashed with same exact error... doubt Mass Effect 3 would work... Parallels' own solution apperently is "Upgrade to Win7" not very helpful considering the game, Mass Effect 3, had run perfectly before... but then so had Mass Effect 1... (ticket system here is a bit annoying)

and I've an other comp with Win7, but it not let me play my Commander & Conquer games except for Generals/Zero Hour, want to stay on XP because I can play my other C&C games...

sigh, thanks for the help though... maybe I'll see about moving on to another "Virtual Machine"... hmm...