New message about VT-x being turned on

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Scott Willsey, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Starting with beta 6, when I boot my XP vm, I see a message that VT-x is going to be turned on, and that another application has already enabled it, and if the other app disables it, weird things could happen. It then gives me a choice to continue booting XP with VT-x enabled, or to cancel so I can edit whether or not to use VT-x.

Continuing on produces the normal behavior - VM boots, checking preferences indicates it IS using VT-x. And you can tell it not to display the message anymore. I'm just curious why the new warning?

BTW, beta 6 seems rock solid to me. I know people are having their problems, but with this beta I can really start using it for my work and feel confident with it.

Cheers.

2. bigman

bigman Member

Is see this message too and I am wondering what application this might be.

3. engrProf

engrProf Member

I see this message too.

4. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I have a feeling the reason is that parallels is expecting vt-x to be disabled for some reason. My assumption was if your intel mac supports vt-x, it would either be supported or it wouldn't. I wasn't thinking of vt-x being turned on or off per application, only being on and being utilized by virtualization apps as needed. Quite probably I don't understand how Intel virtualization works. :)

Anyway, vt-x is apparently always on, or always being left on, and that's confusing parallels workstation.

5. bigman

bigman Member

During installation of B6 I was not prompted to reboot.
    I did a reboot now and the message is gone. Give it a try.

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<