Lord of the rings online (LOTRO) and mouse problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by paxer, May 21, 2011.

1. paxer

paxer Bit poster

Hi,

The is a problem with a mouse in the Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG game. You can download it for free and test, just when you try to change view of your character by mouse it become behave crazy. The problem could be fixed if turn off SmartMouse in VM Properties, but in this case a new problem begins - the mouse cursor does not visible in the game.

Thanks

2. DGM

DGM Bit poster

Playing with the mouse sensitivity in the game settings I discovered that it becomes very sensitive, and every motion results in turning only in once direction, so no matter how you move the mouse, it only detects it as moving one way.

Sounds like when the left mouse is down, it somehow masks the correct values.

3. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member

Agreed this bug with the mouse remains unresolved in Parallels 7.
    I submitted a bug report today for it, I suggest you all do the same...

4. VikramP

VikramP Junior Member

5. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member

6. ChrisHo

ChrisHo Bit poster

I wonder if Parallels will ever acknowledge it, let alone fix it

7. Severus

Severus Bit poster

Lord of the Rings Online works perfect except for this mouse issue. It is STILL unresolved as of April 27, 2012 Friday.

8. Severus

Severus Bit poster

After running around Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings Online for a while, I think I've narrowed down the nature of the mouse problem in the game. I use a Naga Razer mouse that has settings for mouse cursor sensitivity and how many times to poll the machine per second. It seems to work better at extreme sensitivity of around 5500 and low polling frequency of 125 times per second. The acceleration was down to 2 although I've tested it at zero. Basically the nature of the problem is the extreme inertial behavior of the mouse control especially as keeping both left and right buttons pressed down for forward movement and moving the mouse left or right to turn the character's direction and up or down to control the viewpoint from over the character's shoulder up or down.

What happens is that when the character is turned while moving, one can't turn in the other direction right away. Moving the mouse left after having moved it to the right will keep my character moving to the right for a couple of seconds before it moves in the other direction almost like sort of an inertial resistance to any change in direction. Whether it's from right to left or left to right or up to down or down to up seems to make no difference in the inertial lag.

With the Razer Naga gaming mouse I was using, I have found that keeping the polling rate very low, the acceleration low, and the sensitivity extremely high improved the inertial problem with the mouse, but didn't negate it altogether.

9. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

Is LoTRO playable under Parallels 7?

I keep reading that the 'spinning' mouse issue still not fixed in Parallels 7 (some are even saying that VMware Fusion doesn't have this issue). I'm aware that this has been a long standing issue with Parallels and wondering if LoTRO is playable or should I opt for Fusion?

I play SWTOR in Parallels 7 and the mouse issue still persists, but I thought it was only with this game.

Thanks!

10. Severus

Severus Bit poster

In a word, EdGonz, no, LotTRO is NOT playable under Parallels 7. But it is only because of the mouse control issue. The graphics and everything else is fine. But if you can't use the mouse, then the game can't really be played.

11. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

This is bad, this issue has been plaguing Parallels for several releases already.

Have you tried it with VMware Fusion by any chance?

12. Severus

Severus Bit poster

No, I haven't, I don't have the money to buy VMware Fusion and yet another OEM copy of Windows just to see if it works with LotRO. But I did spend $50 today on a copy of Codeweavers Crossover program that lets one install Windows games on a Mac (assuming the particular Mac in question is powerful enough to play said game). I'm downloading LotRO via Crossover right now as I'm writing this. I'll post something in a day or so to let you know how it went.

13. Severus

Severus Bit poster

I've tried to use the Codeweavers Crossover program and I just couldn't get it to work with LOTRO yet. But I went into Parallels again and after the usual game updates, I can actually play the game. The mouse controls are still a bit wonky, but nowhere near as bad as they used to be. If all you're going to do is quest and craft, you should be good to go. But I'd still stay away from the PVP Freeps and Creeps stuff and the dungeons because they'll require a lot of fast reaction time and the still-wonky mouse controls won't be good for that.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Bit poster

I'm running Fusion 4.1.2 and have exactly the same problem with LoTRO's MouseLook function. I think we have to look to Turbine to solve this issue. Chances are they are doing something funky in the way they read the mouse, which they get away with until someone fires up a virtual host to run the game.

Major disappointment for me, as my PC died yesterday. Hours of messing with Lotro installs and tweaking configs and I'm no closer to solving this problem. The game appears to work perfectly in every other respect.