InsMouse disappears when Parallels Tools installed on Ubuntu 12

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MHWill, May 9, 2012.

1. MHWill

MHWill Bit poster

I recently downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Mac (OS X 10.7) running Parallels Desktop 7. My mouse worked just fine.

Then I installed Parallels Tools for Ubuntu and rebooted. My mouse cursor never appears and mouse clicking is not recognized. The keyboard works properly. I can Ctrl-Alt to release the mouse back to OS X.

I went into Ubuntu's Mouse System Settings and activated the "Show position of pointer when the Control key is pressed". This function works okay and "shows" where my mouse pointer is (but, of course, does not show the pointer icon itself). But if I move my mouse, the position of the "invisible" pointer does not move.

If I uninstall Parallels Tools for Ubuntu, after rebooting, my mouse works properly within Ubuntu. If I once again reinstall Parallels Tools, after rebooting, my mouse is non-functional again.

Ideas?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Is it a fresh Ubuntu installation? did you do any adjustments, did you install any mouse drivers or anything in particular?

3. MHWill

MHWill Bit poster

Mouse disappears with P.Tools install

Yes, this was a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, downloaded directly from the Ubuntu web site. No other software was installed, and no software updates to Ubuntu were performed - just a strait, uncustomized Ubuntu install from scratch, followed by the install of Parallels Tools.

I already had an older (v7 or v8) version of Ubuntu installed (as a separate, independent VM) that was updated with software regularly over the years. But over time it was beginning to have problems of its own, thus I decided to install Ubuntu from scratch in a new VM.

4. BowenZ

BowenZ Bit poster

I encountered the exact same issue.

I encountered the exact same issue as stated above.

I recently installed the ubuntu 12.04 under default settings. Everything works fine until I installed Parallels Tools onto the system. The mouse pointer just vanished and I was not able to interact with the GUI. I will have to re-install the system and use it without the tools.

Please fix this problem asap.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

Ubuntu 12.04 is supported since PD7.0.15094. You need to update Parallels Desktop.

6. prplppletr

prplppletr Bit poster

Actually, I'm having the same issue and based on your direction to update the desktop, I have. I'm still having the issue with the disappearing cursor and no GUI response. This was a fresh install of Ubuntu and not an upgrade.

7. Severus

Severus Bit poster

I have this exact same problem. Latest version of Parallels (7.0.15094) and Ubuntu (12.0 or something like that) is the versions installed. The mouse cursor just simply disappears and no response from it although when I switch to the regular Mac screen, it is there as though nothing had happened. I have about seven to eight separate desktop screen on my Mac at all times with the Parallels taking up one of them. The mouse works fine on all of them except when in Ubuntu running inside the Parallels desktop. It could be either Ubuntu or Parallels although I'm inclined to think that it's Ubuntu that may have the issue because they just had a major upgrade not too long ago.