need explanation of 3.0 and bootcamp interaction

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by fabforrest, Jun 5, 2007.

1. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

i use bootcamp now to run windows only for certain games. that is all i use windows for and is all i ever will use window for.

assuming that the 3.0 3D support is good for my games, how would i utilize 3.0 to run XP and the games installed on my bootcamp partition? is this straightforward? klunky? promising? not likely?

2. colourpixels

colourpixels Bit poster

If it's anything like the current version, then you can run parallels off of your bootcamp partition. ie if you install an app in bootcamp, the app would also be installed when you run the parallels bootcamp VM...

3. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

copy of windows?

will it (parallels) use the copy of windows installed on the bootcamp partition as well?

4. vioccc

vioccc Member

Yes, you won't have to re-install windows. Just tell parallels to use your Bootcamp partition instead of creating a virtual hard drive when creating your new virtual machine. There are a number of annoyances with using a Bootcamp partition with Parallels however. In particular, you will be asked to enter your password everytime you start Parallels and you won't be able to suspend your VM which means that you'll have to shutdown Windows and boot up Windows every time you want to stop and start Parallels.

5. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

"you won't be able to suspend your VM which means that you'll have to shutdown Windows and boot up Windows every time you want to stop and start Parallels."

which would not be a problem if i just kept parallels up all day, right? now, i boot in and out of windows five times a day.