Windows 8 Release Preview

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Michael Pitt, May 31, 2012.

1. RWTech

RWTech Junior Member

I had this problem too. I am installing from an .iso. When you install, don't use "Express Installation" (there's a checkbox over the graphic of the install key, which you must uninstall).

As soon as I did that, it installs just fine!

Hope that helps.

2. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

You guys are awesome! Worked a treat - thanks :))

3. iobot

iobot Bit poster

The registry hack and setting smart mouse to "on" has resolved all my problems. :)

4. KentonT

KentonT Member

Registry Hack Works

Confirmed!

5. RWTech

RWTech Junior Member

I have not been able to get Parallels Tools to install without freezing up the system. Was there anything else you did to get that to work? (I am also one of those whose "express installation" would freeze up, too).

6. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

Can't find openGLdriver

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw Junior Member

@AndrewC55: The easiest way I found was to drill down to the registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\ subtree

Then do a search from there for OpenGLDriverName (Ctrl-F shortcut) and delete and replace where necessary.
    In my case I only had two entries: one for OpenGLDriverName and one for OpenGLDriverNameWow.
    Replacing both with multi-string values (as instructed) worked for me.

8. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

Display still isn't right I don't get full screen any fix for this??

9. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

It was 4:3 hack also worked for me..thanks for that
    got it to 1920x1080 which fills out the screen for me

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  10. RicardoA

RicardoA Bit poster

No Internet Connection after installing

In my case, everything worked perfectly. Display does get stuck in "fixed" modes, but that can be worked through Control Panel. Magic Mouse works fine too.

However, I can't seem to get the internet connection working, even after re-installing Parallels Tools (which was necessary after installing W8). Any ideas? (I am no hacker, so take it easy...) :)

11. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

I've had the same problems since using windows 8 this version seems to be a little more stable to restarting windows also reinstall tools reinstall parallels with the latest version I also found that by unpluging my modem it would "see" again all aa bit of pain try the trouble shooter it might fix it for you I read somewhere else also if you delte all other network connects except internet it might help on the mac side also check the network connections are working too.
    Sorry can't help more but it gives you somewhere to start all this works up to a point..hope this helps!

12. John Merrill

John Merrill Bit poster

I cannot get TOOLS to work. I've reinstalled a couple of times but no go.

13. Carlito72

Carlito72 Bit poster

Same Think. On Mac Book Air late 2011, installation of Windows OK but impossible to install the tools. Windows freeze at around 74% of the installation.

14. John Merrill

John Merrill Bit poster

This made TOOLS work.

Thanks

15. RicardoA

RicardoA Bit poster

That didn't work, especially because I run on Airport. And even disconnecting it and reinstalling everything didn't work. The installation itself took quite sometime but went flawless (and network worked).

An added info: it asks for a new driver to connect to the network. That may be one of the problems. I guess I'll have to way for Parallels to come up with something.

16. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

Sounds a bit complecated does the internet run ok in the mac ok? Has it worked with windows before?
    Have you got a straight connection other than airport like a dialup or something similar just to test with windows just an idea.Does windows see airport ok, talk to apple look on the apple forum talk to parallels.
    Getting internet to work is a pain at the moment lets hope an update fixes this issue!

17. ae6dx

ae6dx Hunter

Is there any fix for having to release the mouse with ctrl+alt each time?

18. Crewdawg

Crewdawg Junior Member

Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Smart Mouse = On

19. Carlito72

Carlito72 Bit poster

After new update of Parallels 7 (Build 7.0.15095). Installation of Tools run smoothly. Everything seems to to work. Thx

20. GaborO

GaborO Bit poster

After new update (Build 7.0.15095) Tools are okay, but experienced serious slowdown. Win8 Release Preview 32 bot installation works for a while, but only until a couple of restarts.

After Win8RP gets slow, even from restart, the loader beside the Welcome text is lagging, login takes about a minute (it was a couple of seconds before), and the whole system is very slow, several seconds of delay after clicking every tile.

Tried to install twice, and second time the slow down appeared right after the restart after of Tools installation.

Did anyone else experienced this? Do you have any workaround for this.

THX!