Open Excel or Powerpoint in Windows?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by drdsgolf, Jun 5, 2007.

1. drdsgolf

drdsgolf Bit poster

I'm new this week to Parallels so bear with me. I have searched through some threads but haven't found the answer. Right now if I drag a Word document from my Mac desktop to my Windows desktop, I can open it in Windows. I am unable to do this with either Excel or Powerpoint files--the Windows side tells me it doesn't recognize the file and refers me to the web. I do have a copy of Microsoft Office Small Business 2003 I could install on the Windows side, but I guess I thought the cross-platform would allow me to open these files.

Anyone?

2. danws

danws Junior Member

In 3.0, if you have a powerpoint or excel viewer on your mac, you would be able to view those files with your mac with the windows open with option. With the current version (2.5), you will need to install your small business cd to view those files or use a free office suite like http://www.openoffice.org

3. drdsgolf

drdsgolf Bit poster

Thanks. It sounds like the 3.0 version will be released in the next few weeks, so I may wait for that. I'm not sure my copy of Office Small Business is usable--it's my wife's unused one from her Dell. I also will take a look at open office.