Windows 7 rendered with wrong resolution on Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by lutzroeder, Jun 17, 2012.

1. lutzroeder

lutzroeder Bit poster

When running Windows 7 on a new Retina MacBook Pro with Parallels 7.0.15098 Rev 770637 the max screen resolution seems to be 1440x900 even though higher resolutions are available.

When choosing 2880x1800 in Windows 7, half the pixels get lost and the screen is still rendered at 1440x900.

Is this a known bug or is there some setting that needs updating?

2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    concerning the new Macs that Apple announced on 11 June 2012, there are several hardware features in these new Macs that will require significant engineering work to fully support in Parallels Desktop. Some of these hardware features are USB 3.0 and some aspects of the Retina Display. It may take several months of work before these hardware features will be fully supported.

Regards,
    Hanna

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  3. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Can't wait! It's still usable, a little pixelated but still perfect. Need beta testers?

4. Geesu

Geesu Member

Yea it looks pretty awful in windowed mode. Is there any setting we can tweak to make it more usable? Everything is SO huge.

5. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Well, I wouldn't describe it as "awful". I have pretty high expectations and I would describe it as I see the pixels clearly. Especially compared to Retina.

Things shouldn't be huge, they should scale normally. Do you have DPI changed only our windows guest?

6. Geesu

Geesu Member

You're saying I need to change the DPI? I just installed windows 7 out of the box on my new macbook pro, then used parallels to start up the boot camp partition.

It's pretty much unusable as the resolution is so low.

7. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Boot camp drivers that apple has right now automatically detect the retina resolution and automatically set the windows DPI to 150% to try to compensate the display and make it somewhat usable. When you boot into the boot camp partition from Parallels that setting sticks. Except Parallels also blows the screen trying to compensate for the display so you are technically doubling each pixels twice (i.e. 4x the size it should be).

Right click in windows => Screen Resolution => Make Text Bigger or Smaller. Select the first option 72 ppi and save. It will make it look OK in Parallels but definitely usable. HOWEVER, when you reboot into Windows 7 Boot camp things will be tiny since you changed the setting. Can't have it both ways .. yet.

8. Geesu

Geesu Member

Ahh thanks, that makes it much more usable!