Printing from Win XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mparisinou, Apr 29, 2006.

1. mparisinou

mparisinou Bit poster

How can I get the guest Win XP to "see" my USB printer connected to my Mac Book Pro?

2. garyswindell

garyswindell Junior Member

3. dbourne

dbourne Member

I just tried it and it didn't seem to work. I have a printer (Epson) attached to my desktop machine. From the laptop connected via wireless I downloaded Bonjour, used the wizard to find (and set-up) the printer but it doesn't print and it doesn't connected via the Status monitor giving a communication error

4. mparisinou

mparisinou Bit poster

So, do I install bonjour on the Mac side or on the Guest OS. (Sorry, I'm a bit over my head here....) :eek:

5. dbourne

dbourne Member

Windows side.

6. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

I haven't done this yet, but my first inclination would be to "print to pdf" within the Windows machine, then copy the resulting pdf file to the Mac to print from there.

Windows doesn't have PDF-writing built-in, so maybe a 3rd party software? e.g. http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

7. netdog

netdog Hunter

Forget the PDF. Make sure Windows machines have Bonjour installed. That will do it.

8. mparisinou

mparisinou Bit poster

This is probably a stupid question but how do I get the Bonjour software on the Win machine - since I've no internet connection?

I suppose I could download it on the Mac, burn it on a CD and have Win read it - unless there's an easier way? I can't copy files from Mac to the Guest OS, can I?

Thanks
    M

9. matonmacs

matonmacs Bit poster

Yes, just use the folder sharing feature built into the new betas.

10. mparisinou

mparisinou Bit poster

Great! Finally got file sharing working. Downloaded Bonjour and got my printer going.

Thanks to all for your input! Much appreciated.

Now if I can only access the internet through IE....

M

11. timben

timben Bit poster

I loaded up Bonjour Printer Wizard and it showed "no Bonjour printers available" even though the OfficeJet v40x is checked and shows up in Devices and it's "properties" show that I've allowed "sharing."

What am I missing here...

Thanx,

Tim B.

12. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Printer Sharing needs to be turned on on the host side (in the Mac Printer & Fax Setup).

13. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

Epson problem?

Ditto. Epson CX4200 attached to MBPro, Bonjour installed and Mac printer sharing enabled. I get the exact same communication error message. Did you ever resolve this?

14. dbourne

dbourne Member

No, not the last time I tried. Maybe the next beta ;-)

15. dbourne

dbourne Member

RC didn't seem to help. Maybe I'm doing something else wrong ;-(

16. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

You and me both. Just tried redoing everything with RC1 also and am still stuck printing from OSX. Maybe it's Epson's problem.