how can i figure out from this problem???resizing hhd

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SimoneB, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SimoneB

SimoneB Bit poster

hi to everyone...

i have parallels desktop 6 and i've done a virtual machine with Windows XP on it...

by default, hdd is with 20 Gb... now i'd like to expand a little more until 30-40 Gb .

When i open the vm, i go in hardware-->hard disk and i click on Edit(expanding disk, 20.0 Gb)
    a window appear and i try to increase until 40 Gb the hdd.
    below this, there are:
    Resize file system (with flag)
    Expanding disk (with flag).

i push on Apply... and after a few seconds, an error message appear:

"Failed to resize the virtual hard disk.
    An internal error occured while resizing the disk."

in more details is wrote this:

Resizing failed. Unable to resize the last volume. The file system of this volume might be damaged or not supported.

what should i to do?? what it mean???

many thanks guy!!

2. SimoneB

SimoneB Bit poster

it's very impressive... 181 viewers and nobody that knows how to respond... u are all seniors...aren't u?? ahahaha as me!!!

3. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Exactly the same issue - PD 6 and XP VM. Same message, clicking details gives internal error 0xffffffffffffffff.

Clicking "Edit" for Hard Disk 1 shows checkboxes in all of 'resize file system', 'expanding disk' and 'split the disk image into 2 GB files'. The last two checkboxes are gray - I cannot uncheck them. Dragging the size slider to a larger value - from 32.3 to 35 and clicking Apply gives the messages listed by SimoneB.

I tried cloning the VM to see if things worked with the clone. No.

The VM had been shut down before attempting this. (And, the VM has been running out of disk space and NOT auto-expanding as it should.)

Help?

4. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Great. Trying to expand the clone using the steps in this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106846

not only corrupted the clone, but also the original VM. Neither will boot any longer, giving DLL error before even giving the boot menu (for safe boot/etc). Restoring a backup and running updates, but have now lost a Norton 360 license... :-(

5. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi,

Virtual hard disk resizing contains two steps. One step is virtual disk image resizing, another is filesystem resizing. For some reason we can't detect all problem during disk analisys. In this case filesystem resize could be faild. There is two possible solutions.
    1) Resize virtual hard disk without filesytem resizing with our software, and resize filesystem using one of tools inside the virtual machine.
    2) Boot VM and perform filesystem check. This step will fix filesystem errors. After that shutdown VM (don't force to stop it!) and try to resize virtual disk again. If this solution doesn't work try solution (1).

p.s. All, please add a problem report ID (Help->Report a problem) to you problem description. It's a lot easier to analyze the problem with log files :) Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Unbootable yet again

After restoring a backup VM, I did the steps in your option (2), Stuw - ran check disk on the XP system, shut down, [backed up to external drive], started Parallels, right-clicked the shut-down XP VM in the VM list, Configure, and tried to resize. Same error message. Clicked Close. Tried to start VM .. it is not corrupted and will not start: Registry File Failure this time.

Cannot install new software in VM because the disk is too small.

Problem report ID 15912631

7. Stuw

DrKarl, thanks! I will check your report.

8. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Thanks, Stuw. By the way, typo here:

should be "It is NOW corrupted" (vs 'not')...

Will upgrading to PD 7 improve the situation?

9. Stuw

DrKarl,

I reviewed report. Error is unordinary.
    If it is possible (fs used on partition where virtual disk is placed supports >2GB files), try to merge disk parts (i.e. make it non-splitted). Then resize disk again. In case of error send a problem report.

10. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Hi Stuw,

I was able to 'merge' the disk parts (Parallels Desktop 6 / Mac) by going to Configure > Hardware > Hard Disk 1 > Edit and unchecking the "Resize file system" checkbox to enable me to then uncheck the "Split the image into 2 GB files" checkbox. Clicked Apply.

The Size reported as 29 GB before I unchecked "split the disk" and 31.2 GB AFTER I unchecked that box, but before clicking Apply. The prl_disk_tool process ran for about 30 minutes to process the VM.

Upon completion the VM reported as 29 GB again, and booted fine

So, then I tried to resize the now single-file disk image (shut down the VM first). I dragged the size slider to 35 GB and clicked Apply. It ran for a while...and when it was complete, dialog showed instead that the Size was now 31 GB, not the 35 GB requested. (I have 500 GB free on the host drive - so not an issue.)

However... inside Windows XP, the Properties for the C: drive now show the capacity as the requested 35 GB with 28.3 GB used, and 6.62 GB free. If I navigate to the *pvm file in Finder, it shows there as 35 GB also. So... it seems that the resize worked now (thank you!) ... but:

What's going on? Why is the "Size" reported by the Configure > Hardware > Hard Disk 1 not the same as seen in Finder and reported by Windows? (31 GB vs 35 GB)?

Thanks!
    Karl

11. Stuw

DrKarl,

Virtual hard disk have two "size" properties. Size of disk image files on host filesystem and disk capacity (how many data could be stored withind disk).
    Finder shows host size. Our settings/dialogs usually shows capacity (except compress dialog if I remember correctly).
    There is also one moment. Some software calculates MB as size_in_bytes / 1000 / 1000, other as size_in_bytes / 1024 /1024. Fiders divides by 1000. Our software, divides by 1024.

Size in dialog after resize procedure could be wrong because of bug/glitch. You can try to reopend editting dialog and check size once again. If windows XP shows you 35 GB, then capacity is ok and resize works for you.