DirectX 10 Support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MajorGem, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MajorGem

MajorGem Bit poster

does anybody know if Parallels has this on their roadmap? The latest upgrade to allow 1 GB of VRAM was amazing and makes modern games run AWESOME, directx 10 support would certainly be great and allow the running of even newer games.

2. PragmaticReviteer

PragmaticReviteer Junior Member

For those of us in the professional world, trying to make money running things like AutoCAD and Revit in Parallels, DX10 is even more important. Some really nice graphic improvements have come to Revit in the last few years, but without at least DX10, we can't use them.
    I also wonder if Parallels is using OpenCL to leverage the GPU as much as possible. I know we can't have real GPU passthrough like Parallels Workstation (at least without running a Mac Pro with a second graphics card) but if there was a way to translate GPU stuff to OpenCL and leverage the GPU that way I would think it would offer better performance than using the CPU. Of course perhaps this is already how Parallels works, but I assume not as I would think OpenCL would be part of the marketing. Anyone from Parallels willing to comment on this?

Thanks!
    Gordon

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Of course things can be optimized but to answer the last poster, graphics in PDM are already GPU accelerated using DX (up to 9) instructions and OpenGL.

4. PragmaticReviteer

PragmaticReviteer Junior Member

Ah, but therein lies the problem. Revit and AutoCAD don't use OpenGL, and DirectX9 is both ancient and inadequate. Of course it may well be that Microsoft is making it hard to virtualize DX 10 and higher. All the more reason for Autodesk to support more native Mac apps, but Revit is MANY years from being native Cocoa code (if ever), so in the meantime, Parallels is the best bet. And would be much better if DX 10 was supported.
    OpenCL may or may not have any impact there. But given what OpenCL is capable of, I would love to hear that Parallels is making what use they can.

Gordon

5. JeanetteC

JeanetteC Bit poster

BUMP? Anything from the Parallels team on why DX10 is not supported? Parallels is being marketed by Autodesk as the "preferred virtualization partner" or some such. And yet Parallels fails to support fundamental graphics features in Autodesk software because it only supports an API that last got a functionality update (DirectX 9.0c) 8 years ago. At a bare minimum we should be seeing DX10.1 support, unless there is a technical reason why that is impossible. I am very prepared to believe that Microsoft has intentionally crippled DX to make it hard to virtualize, but I would like to hear from the Parallels team if this is the case.

6. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

No reason to upgrade....

Parallels keeps suggesting I should upgrade from PD6 to 7, but seriously, if there is no major upgrade in support like DX10+ for games, etc, why bother spending money on the upgrade?

7. MajorGem

MajorGem Bit poster

I think from memory the biggest reason to upgrade was you could assign the full 1024 mb VRAM to the VM which makes a huge difference, sadly still no directx 10 or 11. I've read rumors that it's Microsoft that may be the problem in that they're making it difficult or impossible to virtualize directx 10 and 11, seems strange to me but again just rumors.

8. nikynix

nikynix Bit poster

I can not play battlefield 3 DirectX Error [​IMG] i use Parallels Desktop 9 Windows 8 64 bit iMac OS X 10.8 AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 Мb what to do!?

9. MajorGem

MajorGem Bit poster

have you enabled direct 10 support in the preferences? I havent tried BF but i cant see why it cant work UNLESS the minimum reqs are DirectX 11, then it wont work in parallels.

Ive been tryin rome total war 2 but it wont run well even on a maxed out retina pro with ssd etc, only way to enjoy it was bootcamp