Upgrades and rebates.. SHESH!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by glich, Jun 1, 2007.

1. glich

glich Bit poster

Well I overjoyed to see about the new 3.0 till i saw your only giveing free updates for users who bought it back in may. I just bought it back in late march so its kinda depressing to have to pay AGAIN!

On that topic I had a rebate i mailed in for it i called the number today and they informed me that they still have't entered the rebates from march into the computers. ITS BEEN 2 and 1/2 MONTHS!!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK. so much for 8-10 weeks for my rebate if ever i need to go into my files find my paper copies and re-fax them in to get expedited processing they say.

2. nicka

nicka Member

1st, major software releases cost money. But if you bought in late March, as in two months ago they should cut some slack. But if you bought Norton 2006 in November, I doubt they'd five you the 2007 out in January for free. Sure you'd get updates for your version, but not the new release.

2nd, rebates by whole and large are a scam! (unless instant)

Nick

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I bought mine last year and I got the offer. Perhaps the OP's offer got lost in a junk mail bin (mine did) or spam blocked. Best to contact support, and quickly before the rush begins, for a clarification.

4. slamb

slamb Junior Member

Mine definitely got thrown in the junk mail bin. It was one "v1agra" away from setting off every SpamAssassin alarm possible:

Code:
    Content analysis details:   (7.8 points, 4.5 required)

pts rule name              description
    ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
     0.1 FORGED_RCVD_HELO       Received: contains a forged HELO
     0.8 DATE_IN_PAST_06_12     Date: is 6 to 12 hours before Received: date
     1.7 QUALIFY_FOR_THIS       BODY: Qualify for this special...
     1.6 DEAR_FRIEND            BODY: Dear Friend? That's not very dear!
     0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
     3.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                                [score: 1.0000]

5. slamb

slamb Junior Member

In fact, the message set off my alarms, too. It claimed to be from "pawexpress.com", was sent from a netblock belonging to XXX, and referred to "is1a.com" (registered by Michael Fitch of SourceLink in Elk Grove Village, IL?!?), which redirects to http://www.novadevelopment.com/. Does Nova Development have anything to do with Parallels / SWsoft?

6. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Here is the differences. Norton will continue to support 2006 and release bug fixes/updates for a whole year from the day you register it. Parallels build 3188 has a lot of bugs and their support has promised they will fix those bugs in the next build. The next build never come and now they want to charge for it. In other words, they have dropped support for build 3188 just 3 months after its release and that is unacceptable in my book.

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

where have they said they are dropping support for 2.5 release ?

8. wesley

wesley Pro

For everyone's sanity, I really do hope Parallels will release a service build for 2.5 branch even after 3.0 release, although I have to wonder if there's enough manpower for this.

9. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

They didn't say it but they are doing it. Have you seen any patch/service pack being released since 3188?

10. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I hope I was wrong but their tactic is clear: if you want the bug fix, upgrade to 3.0 but you have to pay for it.

11. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

12. danamr

danamr Bit poster

We will see, I certainly hope so.
    There were 5 builds between 1/10 and 3/7 when 3188 was released. Since then 0.
    I understand they have been working on a new product, and they have limited resources.
    Leaving a product in the state that 3188 is in does nothing to make someone want to continue to support the company by buying, and recommending their product which I will no longer do.
    At this point I will limp along with 3188 and Windows Remote Desktop, and switch to Boot Camp when 10.5 releases.