Build 4124 now available

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by justflybob, Jun 7, 2007.

1. justflybob

justflybob Member

Check it out! I just found this while fritzing around the website.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

this appears to be 3.0GA. If you havent purchased 3.0, this wont simply upgrade your 3188 or earlier versions...

PARALLELS GUYS :- YOU SHOULD MAKE IT MORE OBVIOUS ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE THAT THIS IS 3.0 AND NOT A FREE 2.5 UPDATE, if it is so the case.

Also, if you have purchased 3.0.. a couple quick words to the wise..

Make sure your VMs are NOT in suspend mode before updating..
    Backup your current VMs (3.0 changes the format of the virtual drives, you will NOT be able to go back without a backup)
    and most importantly READ the release notes! dont just dismiss them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  3. macosxfiles

macosxfiles Bit poster

How soon should we receive new serial numbers? I was able to download this new version, but don't want to install it yet since I haven't gotten a new serial #...

4. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Good question. I was told we'd get the serial numbers as soon as the product was released. IMO they should have sent those emails out before posting this in a public location on their site because there is no way to live up to that claim, there will be *some* delay between the 'release' and the email.

5. justflybob

justflybob Member

Good advice, darkone!

As for Nova Development? They are clueless that this has even happened. I called them a few minutes ago to politely ask them when I could expect to receive my activation key. She kept telling me that 3.0 wasn't available yet. I kept telling her I was staring at the installation screen! Jez!

I just sent them screenshots of both the download page and the installer notes page...

Can't wait for the response! :eek:

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

just paid for my upgrade online a few moments ago.. got my key immediately in my email.. i believe pre orders said something about within 5 days ??

7. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Gads, I love disconnect in this industry. The right thing to do would be to coordinate all these pieces before posting the product on a public webpage. All that is going to do is get people wondering why they haven't gotten their key yet. D'oh!

8. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

If this is not an upgrade, how do I install it. Do I need to uninstall 3188 first? Do I need to rebuild all the VM? What do I need to watch out for?

9. UKP

UKP Member

If you paid for 3.0 and have your key (which should be in the email you got shortly after paying) then just download 4124 and install. It will upgrade and after the reboot, it will ask for the 3.0 key.

10. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

This is good info but sadly the release notes (3 pdfs as far as I can tell) say NOTHING of the upgrade process. If it is as scary as you imply there should at least be some sort of "how to update" information. How come beta testers never look at possible documentation bugs. When I was a paid STE for Microsoft we didn't let that kind of stuff slip by.

11. justflybob

justflybob Member

Sweeeeet!

So, since I seem to have opened this can of worms? I wonder how long they make me wait before providing me with the activation key?

{cue Christmas music}

Golly, Ken! I bet that activation key for the 3.0 update will arrive before Santa does this year!

{/cue Christmas music}

:cool:

12. justflybob

justflybob Member

Huh?

Pardon me, but what exactly are you looking at?

The User Guide clearly spells out what to do if this is indeed an Upgrade installation. ;)

13. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Darkone, where did you go to do the upgrade online? I think I'm going to go ahead and do that as well, though it doesn't seem at all obvious how to do this.

14. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Thanks, but I did not see that from page 1 to end of installation instructions. I will take another gander. It should be in the table of contents but I didn't see it there...I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough (like one has to do to find these forums :rolleyes:)

Ah, voila, there it is! Even in the TOC!

15. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

I meant, if you dont intend to buy 3.0 then this isnt an upgrade to a newer version of 2.5 such as the update 3188 was to 3186 etc..

16. justflybob

justflybob Member

LMAO!

Yeah, I know.

Top of page 29 of the User Guide will do the trick

17. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Parallels seems to be very engineering focused. They have good developers but they don't have good people doing marketing, sales, and supports. I had worked for a company like that many years ago. Developers were gods, they decided everything: when to release, what features are in and what are out, what bugs will be fixed and what will not. The worst part was they changed their mind every week without telling marketing or sales. Parallels is not as bad but pretty close.

18. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

19. ricka

ricka Bit poster

Wow, almost 1000 builds since the last release. They have been busy...

--Rick

20. slimemold

slimemold Hunter