Parallels must be reinstalled everytime I restart Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by pchasesears, Jun 7, 2007.

1. pchasesears

pchasesears Bit poster

I have parallels working perfectly. However, whenever I restart my computer I have to go back into the terminal and type parallels-config again. After I do this Parallels works again. It seems like the drivers are not being activated when I restart my computer. Anyone have any ideas as to how i can fix this? I'm running Ubuntu 7.04

2. Jisi

Jisi Member

Hi I don't use Parallesl on Linux but I wild guess: If Parallels uses some shell scripts to load drivers, they might nt work properly with Ubuntus default shell (I often had the problem with other scripts, which assume Bash, which isn't used as default in Ubuntu).
    Search Parallels scripts (actual Linux users might know them) and check the first line. If it is #!/bin/sh replace with #!/bin/bash

This might be totally wrong since I am NOT using Parallels for Linuxm but it might be worth checking out :)

3. pchasesears

pchasesears Bit poster

Yea that might be the problem, I had to change some of those scripts to even get parallels to install. I've gone through and changed all the scripts I can find, however it doesn't seem to change anything. Maybe I haven't found all of the scripts parallels uses?

4. titetanium

titetanium Member

On Ubuntu, if bash isn't installed by default, just do a simlink as root:
    cd /usr/bin
    ln -s /bin/bash sh

That should solve the bash problem in your scripts without requiring modification to your scripts.

5. pchasesears

pchasesears Bit poster

Yea i've tried that and still nothing changes.

6. titetanium

titetanium Member

I can only surmise one thing: the init scripts might not be where they should be. After running parallels-config, you should see several init scripts for starting and stopping parallels in the /etc/rc.d* folders. Do you see any of those?

What happens if you type /etc/init.d/parallels restart in a terminal? Does it show the vm-nic being unloaded and reloaded? If no output is shown, then that's the problem.

7. martin42

martin42 Bit poster

The installer doesn't set up the /etc/init.d stuff, so the drivers don't get loaded. Running the parallels-config script doesn't fix that, but it has the side-effect of loading the drivers right at the end!

A workaround is to edit the launch command script /usr/bin/parallels so that the second line reads:

/usr/lib/parallels/autostart/drivers_start

While you're there, you may as well add an extra line at the bottom:

/usr/lib/parallels/autostart/drivers_stop

If I recall correctly, those 2 scripts use illegal syntax for /bin/sh. So to get them to actually work, you need to edit drivers_start and drivers_stop, and change line 1 in each case from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash (and install bash on your box if it ain't there already).

I think I had to change the parallels-config script to use /bin/bash before that would run without errors.

All things considered, it's amazing that such a highly technical product works so well once it's up and running, but has silly little errors in some trivial scripts! I can only speculate that the parallels guys tested on a Linux distro that has subtly different behaviour from Ubuntu, so presumably the installation and start-up scripts worked with no problems, whereas they run into little snags on ubuntu/kubuntu edgy and feisty.

Did you get the sound working in Feisty BTW?

Cheers

- Martin.

8. pchasesears

pchasesears Bit poster

Thanks for the help...i'm adding those lines to the parallels script now. As for sound, yes I was able to get that to work. I never had any problem.

9. pchasesears

pchasesears Bit poster

Well i tried that and I still have the problem. This is crazy, you'd think Parallels would make sure their program would work flawlessly on the most popular linux distro.

10. qwertyu

qwertyu Bit poster

verified?

By default, what does the sh link point to in your system? Is it bash? You said you did ln -s /bin/bash sh after cd to /usr/bin. On my system sh is a link to /bin/bash, but sh is located in /bin also, not /usr/bin, and if you already had a link called sh in the directory you tried to create another one in, ln might just exit without reporting an error, yet it doesn't overwrite the link so it ends up not changing anything.
    I dunno. Just thinking out loud.