Windows 8 Release Preview will not install on Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RyanLM, Jun 17, 2012.

1. GeorgeVReilly

GeorgeVReilly Bit poster

The same endless crash-and-reboot loop is happening on my 2012 non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro and Windows 8 Release Preview (64-bit). Win 8 is installing happily on VirtualBox as I write this.

2. SusanaN

SusanaN Bit poster

I am having the same issue with my new Mac Book Air. I called Customer Support today and they don't have an update yet regarding the date.

3. SanjayR

SanjayR Bit poster

Hey, everyone. Although redundant at this point, I also had the same restart-loop Windows 8 issue with a 15" non-retina macbook pro. Just for the heck of it, I decided to try out VMware's Fusion 4 to see if it offered anything better in terms of stability on Windows 8. I have had no issues whatsoever with Fusion 4. Runs smooth w/o any restart issues. So to anyone who needs a quick alternative to Parallels until we get any updates, go ahead and try VMware's Fusion 4 with a free trial on their website.

That brings up another point: What are the main reason you all use Parallels instead of Fusion 4?

4. ScootDog

ScootDog Bit poster

SanjayR -- I have used VMWare and Parallels. I think Parallels is a little faster and easier to use. I suppose there was no way for them to expect this bug in their code. My Win7 VM works fine, but I am not able to install Win8. Hopefully this is a high priority issue for the Parallels team.

5. SanjayR

SanjayR Bit poster

How are you guys attempting to install Win8 on Parallels? Are you downloading
    the image file from Microsoft's website or are you just hitting the "Win8" button within the Parallels program? Is the restart loop reproducible in both cases?

Scootdog, I've also had problems updating my Ubuntu VM from 11.04 to 11.1/12.04 on parallels. I'm not sure if this was the same type of issue as the Win8 installation. However, the update worked well on Fusion4.

But I hope to hear an update from the Parallels team soon. I'm sure this is just an aberration as they are usually quick to address and resolve issues.

6. ScootDog

ScootDog Bit poster

SanjayR -- I tried downloading an ISO, and installing directly from Parallels. Both failed the same way.

7. JoachimW

JoachimW Junior Member

I just want to add to the pressure as I have the same problem on my Retina MacBook Pro.

Question:
    Does VMWare work? Should I switch?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  8. Bill74

Bill74 Bit poster

Have the same problem on my MBP Retina...
    Support?? Anyone??

Thanks,

9. ScootDog

ScootDog Bit poster

10. Roddzr

Roddzr Bit poster

I find this issue to be unacceptable. I understand that the Parallels team is working hard, but the Ivy Bridge MBP have been out for a month now. Other VMs work perfectly fine. I'm still waiting for this to be fixed though, mostly because I paid for the software.

11. EdwinN

EdwinN Junior Member

QFT! I picked up Parallels 7 just to install the Win 8 preview and ran into this issue. Total let down.

12. Roddzr

Roddzr Bit poster

This message is probably not helpful at all. But I cannot describe how disappointed I am with Parallels. Their customer support is just horrible. This is issue has been around for a month now and all we get is some sort of obscure report telling us it will be fixed "soon." Not even Ubuntu 12 can be installed. 50 bucks down the drain. I'll just switch to VMware.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  13. CambioChangeManagement

CambioChangeManagement Bit poster

Parallels Update Is Now Available

Parallels has just released the update to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. I have successfully installed Windows 8 Preview. Have fun everyone!

14. cascor

cascor Bit poster

Finally!

Just installed window 8 and it works! Thank you Parallels~ Good luck to everyone!

15. Camarodriver

Camarodriver Bit poster

Same problem with my Macbook Pro Retina

I have a Macbook pro Retina display 2.7 GHZ 16GB, 512 GB SSD and windows 7 Pro went in fine, works perfect but the Win 8 Preview loops, panics and BSOD's. It even jammed up my Parallels app that I had to force close at least once. I tried running that ISO after a perfectly clean boot with all MAC OS updates for Lion installed. There is an obvious issue and I await a patch. I cannot wait to see Win 8 on this Retina Macbook Pro!
    eB