Application timing problems / system.threading.sleep is being ignored in Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Fabulous Silicon, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Fabulous Silicon

Fabulous Silicon Bit poster

It seems that the .NET function "system.threading.sleep" is being ignored by Parallels 7, and is causing timing problems with applications that rely on it.... e.g. (in my case) throttling USB data transfers.

The timing related to this function behaves correctly in Parallels 6 without timing the aforementioned problems. I'd guessing that this change might be intended as an overly aggressive technique to achieve higher performance benchmarks in Parallels, but seems to be screwing up timing dependent processes, and should be something can can be optionally disabled by the user.

BTW - I doubt that this is a problem with the specific function in .NET, but rather, something to do with the way that Parallels is handling threading in general.... it's just that it's particularly apparent as a problem with regard to the system.threading.sleep function.

2. jeffyjones

jeffyjones Member

I just tried it... no problem. The Sleep() function works as described.

3. Fabulous Silicon

Fabulous Silicon Bit poster

Then in that case, there must be a difference in out configs... I've got 2 cores assigned (on a Quadcore system), hypervisor is not enabled (although it doesn't make a difference either way), and 3 gigs of memory assigned to Parallels. (Also tried with other settings.)

Strange/inconsistent timing is also evident in other ways... e.g. basic graphics animations are quirky/inconsistent... they surge quickly, then slow down regularly... Again, this doesn't happen with Parallels 6, or a normal Windows machine. I've also disabled "Tune Windows for Speed", but with no apparent change.