Running out of Mac HD space

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WillieL, Jul 15, 2012.

1. WillieL

WillieL Bit poster

I'm running Parallels ver. 7.0.15098 and have it configured for expanding hard drive. My .pvm file is growing and has gotten to 172GB leaving me with very little HD space on my Mac. I only use a limited number of applications on Windows and run mostly on Mac. What can I do to shrink the .pvm and regain some space? I'm running Snow Leopard on the Mac and have a 320GB hard drive.

2. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Bit poster

I've been researching for the same solution. However, it seems that the safest method is to remove the Boot Camp Partition using the Assistant and then recreating it and reinstalling Windows.

There are dozens of other methods that use 3rd party cloning software to avoid reinstalling Windows but there are mixed reviews on the reliability.

3. eyepee

eyepee Member

While Parallels is open and you have not yet started your guest OS Windows you can run Compress on the PVM file. The Compress option is in the menu bar options. That will shrink the PVM to the smallest workable size within Parallels. You don't lose files.

Also your Parallels OS is very large?

There are also ways to give more space in OS X. Google options on what you can move to trash in OS X. Also a fresh instal of Mountain Lion when it comes out will give you a clean system and theoretically more space as long as you don;t load it up with unwanted Apps.

Rebuilding the Parallels system will also give you a leaner Guest OS. My Win 7 PVM is 22GB and it has Win 7 Ultimate, Full Office Suite and Acro Pro. I don't store any files in it.

That's my two cents worth. Sorry if it is stuff you already know.

IP

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  4. Reverendjim

Reverendjim Bit poster

Thought that might be the case since I've had to do it on my PC based machines.

5. Reverendjim

Reverendjim Bit poster

Found a solution to my problem of not enough disc space!! Stopped the machine, deleted ALL snapshots and ran compression. Now have 160GB of free space. Doing this freed up about 150GB!! Wow!

6. eyepee

eyepee Member

Wow... A lot of space. I thought your Parallels was unusually big.

I don't have snapshot enabled because I use Time Machine. I find that works well, as long as it has a reasonably fast connection to the Time Machine Drive. You then have multiple copies of the whole Parallels PVM File.

Downside to that is you can us a lot of space on your TM drive if you constantly access and change the Windows PVM file.

So Time Machine may not be the best option for everyone.

IP