Can't find my virtual machine, can't start windows! Help Please

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AdelH12345, Jul 14, 2012.

1. AdelH12345

AdelH12345 Bit poster

I have Parallels desktop installed on my macpro, was working for 1 year perfectly. I recently shutdown the windows VM via the menu bar and i had my mac updated with the apple software. I restarted my machine and now i can't figure out how to start my windows any more. I have all my files in there. Any help? as you can tell i am pretty stupid and don't know how things work that well. I have an icon on my mac desktop that is the red parallel window, it reads "windows 7 1", when i click that it loads a menu item in my mac menu on the bottom of the screen. when i hover over it it reads "parallel desktop" but the file menu items are all grayed out and i have no idea how to find my windows VM. Any suggestions? I have some major assignment due and regret ever shutting the instance down.

Thank syou

2. eyepee

eyepee Member

You need to find the PVM file on your Mac. It is in Users>Shared>Parallels (if it is shared).

Go to Spotlight and type in "pvm"

You can double click on it to open it I think, or you can click "Install Virtual Machine" in the window when you choose "New" under "File" in the Parallels menu bar.

If you don't have the PVM on your Mac it may have been trashed. Also it the name is changed on the file then Prallels also won't recognise it. You can go to Time Machine and drag it from your most recent Time Machine and copy the PVM file back to its original location on your Mac. Then it should open or you can do the same as I mentioned above.

Basically, the PVM file is your complete Windows file so if you don't have that then you have lost everything. You need to locate it on either your Mac or your Time Machine and put it back into place.

IP