SWSOFT - Can we install build 4124

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by snodman, Jun 7, 2007.

1. snodman

snodman Member

over a paid version of 3188 and use a trial key while Free Upgrade for a Year customers wait for their real keys?

2. snodman

snodman Member

O.K. - Tacit One or Andrew, just what is the preferred method of upgrading from paid version 2 to paid version 3? Will there be a special upgrade procedure different from the upgrades we have seen since last Xmas? Thanks.

3. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

I've installed a 3.0 Trial over my 3188 with no issues so far (except a certain game). I am hopeful that I'll get a real activation key in email before the trial expires.

4. purephase

purephase Junior Member

Technically, yes. You should be able to. I was able to upgrade the software, unfortunately there is an issue with the trial key generator so you'll have to be patient to get one (I'm still waiting myself). Hopefully this will be addressed soon.

5. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Interesting that there is still an issue here. Right after the final "fix" in the other thread I requested one and it worked like a charm. I'm suspecting it might be a region issue (i.e. one region's PD key isn't compatible with anothers).

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You can upgrade as usual. But please backup your VMs if possible. You will be asked for VM convertion and it will be irreversible. In case you will wont to downgrade to 2.5 for some reason you'll be needed these backup VMs.

7. snodman

snodman Member

Thanks Andrew! And if our only Parallels OS is a Boot Camp partition what precautions should we take?

8. Bonesan

Bonesan Bit poster

Please make a Back up of Your VM!

People, in order to protect your original VM make a backup of it. Once you install and start version 3.0 it will convert certain files in your VM making it impossible to roll back to previous versions of Parallels. You will receive a warning during the install process! Most people are not paying attention to this and proceed with the install regardless of the fact that they have not received a activation key either.
    If you do this, you will be stuck with an unusable VM till your key arrives. PLEASE BACKUP YOUR VIRTUAL MACHINE!

9. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

And still no clarification for Boot Camp users. You CAN use a trial key to get that 3.0 running for 15 days (or until you receive a key which you can enter over the trial key).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007