Parallels 4124 broke Cisco VPN 4.9

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eyamanak, Jun 7, 2007.

1. eyamanak

eyamanak Bit poster

I just installed Parellels 3.0 build 4124, and after rebooting my mac after a successful installation, my Cisco VPN client v4.9.0 no longer works. I was able to connect fine using the Cisco VPN client in Mac OSX, through my firewall and everything.

VPN client window now shows a dialog with this message:
    Error 51: Unable to communicate with the VPN subsystem.
    Please make sure that you have at least one network interface that is currently active and has an IP address and start this application again.

I can only press OK and then the client exits. This occurs both when Parallels is running and not running.

My machine has a valid IP address issued via DHCP. When using shared networking I can browse and e-mail and stuff in Mac and in the Boot Camp WinXP Pro VM under Parallels 3.0. Bridged networking doesn't seem to work either DHCP or assigned IP, but that's not my main concern and a different problem.

I've tried restarting the Cisco VPN daemon in Mac OS X, but no go:

BuccaneersDen:~ erick$ sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart
    Stopping Cisco Systems VPN Driver
    kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext succeded
    Starting Cisco Systems VPN Driver
    kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/CiscoVPN.kext loaded successfully

I've run Repair Disk Permissions, but nothing needed to be repaired there. Before installing Parallels, I ran DiskWarrior and fixed any problems.

HELP!

I'm going to try uninstalling Parallels 3.0 (and Parallels Tools) - hopefully my BootCamp partition will still boot in 2.5 or VMWare Fusion.

Thanks,

--Erick

2. eyamanak

eyamanak Bit poster

Note that I'm talking about my Mac OS X Cisco VPN client v4.9, not under Windows.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Does the Cisco VPN log report anything helpful?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please try to reinstall Cisco VPN client - it could help.

5. Laser_jock

Laser_jock Member

FWIW....Cisco VPN version 4.8.01.0300 worked for me.

LJ

6. supergper

supergper Bit poster

Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01 (0080) works fine for me.

7. snipes

snipes Member

If you haven't started this process already, try uninstalling VMWare Fusion using their installer first.

8. akashra

akashra Bit poster

I have the same problem - neither the Cisco VPN client or Shimo works. A quick fix for this would be appreciated as this is rather critical to me.

This is using 4.9.00 (0050).

Reinstalling the Cisco VPN client does not fix this issue.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That's too bad - It's always been necessary here in the past to reinstall the VPN after a Parallels upgrade, and it's always worked. Any useful info in the Cisco log?

10. grossga

grossga Bit poster

Cisco VPN Client 4.9.0 (0050) is working fine after my upgrade without any reinstallation.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Mine survived a Fusion Beta 4 install so I'm one for two so far. Still backing up my VM's prior to installing Parallels 3.0. Wish my Airport handled gigabit wireless...

12. wil

wil Bit poster

I had a similar problem after installing Parallels 3.0. Try launching terminal and restart the vpn process:

$sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart

And then open the Cisco VPN client. It worked for me.

I'm running Cisco VPN 4.9.01 (0080)

13. bobbyb

bobbyb Bit poster

No problems for me.

Cisco VPN 4.9.01.0030
    Black MB Core Duo 2GB
    Ethernet or Wireless, both work fine.
    Paralells 4124 XP SP2 updated.

I did do an uninstall before installing PD3.0. Not doing that has caused problems in the past.

-Bob

14. akashra

akashra Bit poster

Installing the Cisco VPN Client. version 4.9.01 (0080) has fixed my problem, though I did need to run CiscoVPN restart after upgrading to the new version.

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Finally got 3.0 installed this am and there was not adverse impact on my Cisco 4.9 0050 VPN. In the past I've had to re-install it following upgrades but this time it just worked.

16. suhr

suhr Bit poster

4124 definitely broke mine (4.9.01.0080). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the client to no avail. Next stop is to uninstall Parallels.

17. MartinBear

MartinBear Member

Cisco VPN 4.9 working better, not worse, in 4124

Hmmmm. I had problems with Cisco VPN 4.9 with v2.5 builds of Parallels. In my case I solved the problem be creating a distinct Mac OSX "Location" in which I removed the Parallels NAT and Host adapters. (That was to deal with a case in which the VPN connection got very confused about what adpater to use and decided to attach to two of them at once ...)

But, I've just tried Cisco VPN 4.9 from the Mac OS with location on "Automatic" and with Parallels v3 4124 running. It works just fine.

FWIW, I keep my Parallels environment very, very simple (i.e. no Bootcamp stuff), I always shutdown and never suspend, and in general I seem to have fewer problems than most. (Yes, Heaven will strike me dead for that bit of smugness, but it's still a good idea to keep it simple).

Try making a custom location and see if that helps.

Best of luck

18. JuanathanCort

JuanathanCort Bit poster

Removed Parallels 3.0, VPN Works, Re-install VPN Broken

I can confirm that with Parallels 3.0 removed, my Cisco VPN client is able to start.

I then uninstalled the VPN software, restarted my computer, reinstalled the VPN client - which worked. I then reinstalled Parallels and the VPN would no longer start.

There is definitely something broken.

Jonathan

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  19. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In the past there was a kernel module loading order that was upset by Parallels installs. Installing the VPN last has always corrected the problem here. I didn't have a problem with this upgrade so can't help much more, I'm afraid.

20. eyamanak

eyamanak Bit poster

Hi again...

Just an update. Uninstalling Parallels 3.0 did not fix my Cisco VPN connection. I did a re-installation of the Cisco client after the Parallels uninstall, and that fixed the Cisco VPN problem.

I have some more time today, where I'll try re-installing Parallels 3.0, and then re-installing the Cisco VPN client after that.

I'll report in what turns out.

Thanks everyone for their help!

--Erick