Visual Studio 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GrampaTim, Jul 19, 2012.

1. GrampaTim

GrampaTim Bit poster

I am considering the purchase of a new MacBook Pro ( 8 GB RAM, 1 TB drive )

I would also purchase the latest version of Parallels. I want to run in Coherence mode.

I have two Microsoft apps I would want to use.
    Visual Studio 2012 and especially using Lightswitch
    Expression Studio ( for website development ).

Theoretically this may, or may not work. I would really appreciate feedback from people who actually use one, or both, of these products.

Making this investment is significant for me. I would like make an informed decision.

Tim

2. AdamCH

AdamCH Bit poster

I do this, it works

Generally, I turn off 'aero' theme, it doesn't look nice / work properly.

I have been working this way (MacBook Pro + Windows7 + Visual Studio) for quite some years and rarely have any problems with.

Be prepared to invest in learning/configuring the keyboard bindings/mappings between mac/windows though.

3. JoachimW

JoachimW Junior Member

I can confirm that VS2012 RC and the Expression suite works like a charm under Parallels in coherence mode.
    Go ahead.

4. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I've worked this way for a long time with various version of Visual Studio and it works fine. I keep my projects in my documents folder on the Mac so they get picked up by Time Machine.

(although I am about to post a very small niggle I'm currently having with VS2012!)

5. mr_squall

mr_squall Bit poster

Hi! Visual studio 2012 works ok but some overheat troubles i have after 3-4 hours of work.