2.5 Boot Camp VM -> 3.0 Trial and back?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mathew Burrack, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Mathew Burrack

Mathew Burrack Junior Member

Hi all, I tried searching for this but didn't find anything, so apologies if this is rendundant:

I'm currently a happy user of Parallels 2. I'd like to try the new version 3 out to see if it's worth the upgrade. Right now, I just use my Boot Camp partition as my v2 VM.

What I want to know is: can I install the 3.0 trial, try it out using the Boot Camp partition, and still be able to expect to switch back to v2 without any difficulty? I use this for work, so I need to know I have the downgrade path if things with version 3.0 don't work out.

Thanks!
    --mcn

2. maflynn

maflynn Bit poster

AFAIK its not possible to revert back because 3.0 converts your virtual disk image. The safest thing to do is back that up so that you have a native 2.5 disk image available if 3.0 does not suit you

3. jvgfanatic

jvgfanatic Member

Read again: BOOT CAMP :) (i.e. no image)

4. Mathew Burrack

See, that's the trick though...do I even have a VM image? I mean, I'm booting off of Boot Camp, so isn't that the image? I'm guessing it'll want to install new drivers onto the Boot Camp installation, so I'm just worried that v2 won't be able to put the old ones back...?

5. Mathew Burrack

or yeah, what jvgfanatic said :p