Problem Installing Lion as Guest on Lion 10.7.1 Server

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by lazybones, Sep 1, 2011.

1. lazybones

lazybones Bit poster

I am attempting to follow http://kb.parallels.com/en/112121#1

The new virtual machine wizard does not have the "Install OS X Lion using the Recovery partition" option visible.

If I select "Install from Image" and choose my Lion InstallESD.dmg I get the "virtual machine cannot be started , Lion vm requires Tiger or Leopard, problem ID 397 message. This links to http://kb.parallels.com/en/111735 which says "Mac OS X Virtual machine cannot run on Mac OS X non-Server system." But I am running Lion Server.

Finally using the Lion USB stick method, the stick is unavailable to the Wizard install from image method.

Many thanks.

2. garyll

garyll Bit poster

I have the same problem

I have the same problem.

3. lazybones

lazybones Bit poster

possible naswer

It may be due to a missing Lion recovery partition,

4. garyll

garyll Bit poster

I think I figured out the problem. My machine only has 3GB of memory and it appears that to run Lion under Parallels you need at least 4GB of memory. I was able to force it to load Lion by copying the recovery partition into a .dmg file and then loading that. The install started to work but then Lion complained about only having 1GB of memory. So I reset the memory size to 2GB and rebooted under parallels. At that point is was running extremely slow and the "Acitivty Monitor" showed that the host Lion had pinned nearly 2.75GB of of my 3GB of memory. That's when I realized that I bet it didn't show up on the setup screen because it knew that my machine was too limited for it to run.

It's too bad they don't tell you the system requirements before you upgrade otherwise I probably would not have paid the upgrade fee. There are a few nice features. I like that they pre-bundle Fedora and Ubuntu, but I'm not sure that is worth the $40 or whatever it was that I paid.

5. MartijnK

MartijnK Bit poster

The step where it goes wrong for me is to start the install process for the Lion guest OS. I'm running Parallels 7 on a Mac with Lion 10.7.1 installed, which has no recovery partition.

I've tried:
    - the Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg from the initial "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" (downloaded from the App Store), just like lazybones above here did.
    - a "Recovery HD" partition I created on a USB stick using the Recover Disk Assistant. I've tried this unmounted, as a mounted volume (using diskutil mount) and as a Recovery HD.dmg file I created from the USB stick using Carbon Copy Cloner.
    - a complete Hackintosh Lion Install HDD partition, both as a dmg file and as a burned DVD. I created these from the original Lion InstallESD.dmg and the BaseSystem.dmg (to work around the 'System/Installation' link issue in the InstallESD.dmg file). I installed an Intel based Hackintosh system from this partition, so I know that it is capable of creating a working Lion system.

The moment I insert the Recovery HD USB stick, the option 'Install OS X Lion Using the Recovery Partition' in the Parallels Wizard becomes available on the first screen of the Parallels Wizard (see attached screenshot). All other sources, like the dmg files or DVD I tried using the 'Install Windows from DVD or image file' option. Any way I try it, it always ends in the message that lazybones in the first post quoted.

Anyone who has more hints on how to proceed?

Attached Files:

6. AgentMax02

AgentMax02 Bit poster

Just upgraded to PD7.
    Now parallels tells me that I need at least tiger/leopad. But I'm running 10.7.1 Server. And the VM was running perfectly on PD6.
    Come on. I need my vm.

7. AgentMax02

AgentMax02 Bit poster

I have 8GB.

8. lazybones

lazybones Bit poster

Lion officially requires 2 GB of RAM.

9. anschmid

anschmid Bit poster

Same here. I follow instructions how to install 10.7 fom USB it's not working as descripted. After selecting install source VM starts but says no install source, this is not working!

10. René

René Bit poster

Same here.

11. speicher

speicher Bit poster

Have it running now..

I have Lion 10.7.1 as guest on a Macmini Lion Server 10.7.1 host running now without a problem with Appstore etc. and have only 4GB ram.

I did it in the following way:

First I installed SnowLeopard and then Lion via Mac Appstore on an external firewire disk on my MacbookPro and did all updates.
    Then I created a Lion.dmg with Harddrivemanager.
    In Parallels Desktop 7 on my Macmini I created an empty Lion VM.
    I booted my SnowLeopardServer on Parallels Macmini with the empty Lion hard drive as second disk.
    Over my local network I mounted Lion.dmg as 3rd disk.
    With CarbonCopyCloner I copied everything from Lion.dmg to the Lion Harddrive.
    Then I stopped SnowLeopardServerVM.
    Then I booted Lion.
    I can access Mac Appstore now.

All other ways installing it failed.

Cheers
    Markus

12. marklark

marklark Bit poster

a simpler solution

When using the Parallels recommended instructions, skip to method 2.

Open a Finder window that shows the Lion Install application. Choose 'Show Package Contents' and go into the 'Contents->SharedSupport' directory.

At the "New Installation" screen, in the "Install from" menu choose "Choose an image file", then drag the 'InstallESD.dmg' image to the dialog that is asking for the source image file. Click "Open" and then "Continue".

It should proceed very nicely from there.

13. MerylS

MerylS Junior Member

I have face similar problem.