Installing Snow Leopard Server "hangs" on "Select the disk..." screen

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BeSharp, Jan 10, 2009.

1. BeSharp

BeSharp Bit poster

I am trying to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (the current developer seed) in Parallels Dekstop 4.0 for Mac Build 4.0.3810 (December 30, 2008).

The host runs the latest Mac OS X 10.5.6 with all updates applied. I've mounted the Snow Leopard Disk Image. The Snow Leopard installation preparation runs fine. Then it shows the "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X Server" screen but there are no disks I can select from. The list simply is empty. "Customize" and "Install" buttons are grayed out. The only active button is the "Back Arrow".

The HDD activity indicator of the Parallels window indicates activity (green light flashing). I've waited for almost an hour now.

Is this normal behavior? How long will it take until I can proceed? Any troubleshooting ideas?

I've created the virtual machine by using Parallel's assistant and customized none of the options so everything is default. Parallels detected the Snow Leopard Server (experimental) guest OS. Am I expected to do any manual step besides the standard way of creating VMs when installing Snow Leopard Server?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ralf

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Utilities - Disk Utility - format disk as GPT,
    This should be done before installation start
    (Of course in VM)

3. BeSharp

BeSharp Bit poster

Wow, thanks for the speedy answer. How do I do this? (Sorry if I might sound stupid. Not too long on the Apple side of life...)

If I select "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu after the installer reaches the "hang" screen Disk Utility does not have any HDDs in its list. Nor do I find the format option anywhere. I guess I do have to press a key during boot or something.

Could you elaborate a bit more, please?

Thanks in advance,
    Ralf

4. John@Parallels

Do you have disk in configuration?

5. liyakhatalikhan

liyakhatalikhan Bit poster

Same problem here.. not able to install snow leopard

struck at ..no boot device available.. press enter to continue.

I tried to do format as GPT but dint find the option to do it anywhere.

if any one can give details how to install it would be great because there is no tutorial available anywhere even checked with vmware

6. bi11

bi11 Hunter

Parallels v4 does not work with Snow Leopard 10a222. I have a disk in the configuration. I have created the disk with diskutil with GPT label. Still did not help. I see abnormal cpu consumption while the Snow Leopard VM is sitting at select disk. See attached images. Especially interesting is the system profiler screen cap. You can see that the disk is attached and has the GPT partition. Yet the install does not display the disk. Are there any other hacks we can try?

Attached Files:

7. John@Parallels

b11 and all others, could you please create ticket,
    Yesterday I tried every possible combination to reproduce situation
    deleting Parallels folder, changing permissions, but I am able to create to see that disk and install Snow Leopard Server

8. liyakhatalikhan

liyakhatalikhan Bit poster

Can you please tell me how did u install leopard snow?

I mean some step by step process.. with some screen captures?

Thanks

9. John@Parallels

Installation is the same as for Mac OS Leopard client, and Server,
    I am really interested in why it is not possible to install,
    Is dmg or dvd corrupted, probably you can check md5 sum at Apple Developers Connect?

10. openservice

openservice Bit poster

No disk shown

same problem here. No disk is shown. PD 4.0.3810 (german) and 10.6 server snow leopard 10a222
    I added the virtual disk to an 10.5.6 server vm where it shows up and formatable as well. But back to the installation under snow leopard, no disk is shown to install on.

I started by using the install assistend to add the vm and tried it in two ways: One by burning an Install-DVD and the other by using the dmg-file itself. No difference.

Any new hints?

Thank you.

11. Gareth Mills

Gareth Mills Bit poster

I have this problem and it is only with the new version 10A261.

Have any parallels technical support personal encountered any problems with this new release?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  12. MerylS

MerylS Junior Member

I have suffering this problem. How can I install snow leopard?