Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Are there plans to address the issues with v6 with Mountain Lion, or will only v7 be supported going forward?

[You can't use this version of the application "Parallels Desktop.app" with this version of OS X.]

2. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Anyone? PD7 was released 10 months ago, and they've already dropped all support for the previous version? What company does that? If that's the case, I certainly won't invest in the new version since they'll ditch it the first opportunity as well.

3. terryi

terryi Bit poster

I couldn't agree more. I'm still waiting for an answer regarding this too. The answer will determine whether I continue to use Parallels or not. There seems to be a pattern with "forced upgrades" shortly after previous upgrades. Bad business in my opinion.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello Dear Users,

I'm afraid due to massive changes in Lion (Mac OS 10.7) and Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8), Parallels Desktop 6 is not compatible with Mountain Lion. And only the latest build of PD 6 is partially compatible with Mac OS 10.7 Lion.

However we do not drop support for Parallels Desktop 6 and not going to do it for at least couple of years. All possible issues with Parallels Desktop 6 installed either on Mac OS 10.6 (or lower) or Mac os 10.7 will be addresses in appropriate way by our Technical Support team - www.parallels.com/support/request

5. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Disappointing that you won't stand behind a product that was updated 10 months ago. Parallels is a convenience, yet it costs twice as much as the operating system itself.

I'm afraid I'll have to part ways with Parallels at this point. Software that I must pay to upgrade every year or two is a bad investment.

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

You don't have to pay for upgrade if you stay on the same operating system. Basically all major software put updates for the current version only - and if you switch to a newer operating system which has dramatic changes - it is usully means some applications won't work. Especially those which require deep implementation into the Host OS and close communication with practically all major functionalities.

7. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Lets be honest here. There are no dramatic changes in Mountain Lion. I've been using it for a few months and every app I've thrown at it works flawlessly except for PD6. You simply didn't update your app to be fully 64 bit compliant 2 years ago as you should have and now instead of doing so, you are abandoning that version to an obsolete version of the OS and charging another $60 if people want to keep their OS current.

8. terryi

terryi Bit poster

Charging for yet another upgrade, so soon after my previous upgrade just for Lion to work, seems like Parallel's is exploiting the customer at every opportunity. Other software applications that I own make upgrades to their software without holding the user hostage. It's obvious what Parallels is doing here, only because they've done it time and time again. I can't keep up with Parallel's and their paid upgrades anymore.

And sorry, everyone here knows, Mountain Lion is not a big software upgrade, and I wish Parallel's would stop treating as one. $19.99 for Mountain Lion, and Parallel's want another $49.99? Laughable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  9. YanaYana

YanaYana

I was comparing Snow Leopard with Lion and Mountain Lion. Cause actually PD 7 which is almost a year old now as you know is fully compatible with Lion. If you have any issues using it with Mountain Lion - so it is still a preview version and everything will work flawlessly at the official release date. As for PD 6 - it supports Lion only partially and only the last build. And people were provided with a free upgrade to PD 7 at the Lion release time - obviously It was a year ago and current PD6 holders would have to upgrade to PD7 or upcoming PD8 if they decide to use Mountain Lion

10. MattS

MattS Bit poster

Parallels 7 upgrade?

I was never offered a free upgrade to PD 7 when Lion was released. I still have PD 6 and am dismayed to learn that it is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Neither was I. Can't believe they are claiming this now.

12. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

I'm so annoyed by this.

Extorting $49 pisses me off. I have no issues with paying for upgrades or support. But denying use of a software after such a short time, and charging that much for a minor upgrade pisses me orr.

Apple says that Mountain Lion is a minor upgrade to the OS, that's why they are only charging $20 for it.

I don't have time to research alternatives right now, so I paid it. I won't make that mistake again. I have been a loyal customer, purchased 7 times now - your business practises have now lost me.

Wonder how long until they delete this.

13. RonSchn

RonSchn Member

Do you really think that is a short time nowadays?

Plus how do you think Parallels are paying their employees? Do you guys work a year for free? 49$ is NOTHING for a productive software - People are just too spoiled from their 99cent-iOS-fart-apps...

You can't have everything for free, and if a new OS comes out this always requires software developers work. And yes there are technical changes, Apple says "minor changes" for those end users who don't have a clue. Technically there are major changes, for example Gatekeeper to name one...

14. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

Perhaps I am spoiled by $20 minor upgrade in features to a major OS. However, Apple has played that well, I find value in the little that Mountain Lion brings for that amount and will gladly pay that for my non development machines. Gatekeeper seems like a minor change to quarantine tool. Nothing else seems to have broken on the Mountain Lion upgrade, including some really old stuff that I was shocked that it didn't.

I gladly pay a reasonable amount for additional functionality. At $50 I feel ripped off - as I feel they have intentionally broken what I already paid for in order to make me pay again.

This feels like a "Sales" decision. It has backfired with me. When Apple officially releases Mountain Lion I suspect this forum will be full of people who think the same.

15. sk8er3253

sk8er3253 Bit poster

Free Upgrade?

Parallels did offer a free upgrade from PD6 to PD7, but only for people who purchased parallels within 3 weeks of PD7 being released. I also find it rediculous that I am forced to upgrade once a year, at a price thats 3 times more than the OS itself.

The release schedule is the most frustrating part. Whats going to happen now is i'm going to upgrade to PD7, just to get it working with Mountain Lion. Then 4-5 weeks later, Parallels will release PD8, putting me just outside the free upgrade window and behind the curve once again. I too have just about had it with the yearly expensive upgrades and will be switching to another product.

16. RobertFJ

RobertFJ Bit poster

6 Runs Fine on Lion.

I have been running the latest update to P6 on my MacBook using Lion and have had no issues whatsoever. I'm not sure what they mean by partial support, but, for me, P6 runs Win7 flawlessly under Lion. I aslo have a VM running CentOS 5 and that works just fine as well.

I would like to go to Mountain Lion, but I need Parallels support to log into my office PC.

So I will stay with what I have for now and wait for 8. Sad......

17. CarsonW

CarsonW Bit poster

Upgraded to Mtn Lion Before Upgrading to Parallels 7

I upgraded to Mountain Lion this morning only to find that Parallels 6 is now dead. If I upgrade to 7 now will it restore Parallels functionality without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks!

18. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

I am likewise disgusted with Parallels for this issue. I've never had problems with Parallels 6 on OS X Lion. Suddenly on OS X Mountain Lion, I need to spend $50 for an upgrade to Parallels 7. This is definitely making me reconsider ever purchasing their product again.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  19. HuseyinG

HuseyinG Bit poster

Paying $50 upgrade fee for $20 OSX update?

I am still using P6 and it was working perfectly for Lion
    Now, OSX M.L. installer removed Parallels due to incompability ;(
    Only Parallels is not working. Others have no problem.

Does it worth to pay $50 more for $20 OS upgrade? I wonder how virtualbox is doing these days

20. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

I cannot agree with this more.