Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Bellusmentis

Bellusmentis Bit poster

I bought Parallels 6 one year ago exactly, the same day Lion came out (19th July). P7 was not out at the time and I was not offered a free upgrade. When I enquired, I was told to pay the upgrade cost. For someone from this company to lecture users who have paid good money in the first place, is not only offensive, but utterly disgusting.

2. d8v1dp

d8v1dp Bit poster

alternatives

I thought i best start researching to see if PD6 is compatible with moutain lion and to find out it isn't is a joke. I agree with everyone on here that being forced to upgrade to PD7 is rediculous, especially what happened last time, and you know what will happen. PD8 gets released but you can only upgrade if you purchased PD7 with a certain time frame.

I'm running several virtual machines which i need to run for exams at the moment and cannot afford any down time so I'm stuck with Lion for now until Parallels fix a product which in essence should still work.

In the meantime i will be researching alternatives to parallels to see if they force users to upgrade each time a new version is released.

3. MacGuy12

MacGuy12 Bit poster

4. d8v1dp

d8v1dp Bit poster

thanks for the heads up on that article. I have the same mind set that I won't be purchasing the upgrade of Parallels all together.

5. OmriKa

OmriKa Bit poster

I am glad to see that I am not alone.

I bought Parallels 6 for 70$ and it served me well at snow leopard and lion. I am willing to pay an upgrade fee of 20$ (Like I pay for Apple) for new versions and support, but 50$ is to much.
    Now I am stuck in mountain lion with Parallels 6 that isn't working.
    I hope Parallels will change their attitude to customers before they will lose them all.
    Moving to VirtualBox.

6. d8v1dp

d8v1dp Bit poster

I think an upgade cost of $10 would be reasonable... half of the cost of the OS.

7. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

Agreed. $10 would be acceptable, but 3 times the cost of OS X Mountain Lion. It's outrageous. I'm boycotting Parallels until they fix this issue too.

8. sk8er3253

sk8er3253 Bit poster

Upgrade

This upgrade model just doesn't make sense. Why don't you charge users when Windows releases Service Packs? The OS X updates are basically feature driven. I can see charging for an upgrade every 3-4 years, or if Apple went to an 11.x model, but once a year is way too much. I will be making the switch to VMWare tonight.

9. ambahk

ambahk Bit poster

Have been using Parallels for 6 years, and I agree with everyone that Parallel's upgrade model sucks! I will boycott not only Parallels Desktop, but also all Parallels product, for this company treats their customers as dummy! This story will be all over facebook and twitter within a week.

Farewell.

10. TronTron

TronTron Bit poster

I am on Parallels 6 but upgraded to OS X 10.8 already, how do I upgrade Parallels 7?

Do I need to go back to OS X 10.7, upgrade to Parallels 7?

11. ShiloD

ShiloD Bit poster

PD 7 and Mountain Lion

I just installed Mountain Lion from a Lion installation. I bought PD 5, 6 and upgraded to PD 7. Well on my first reboot I get the following message from Mountain Lion:

"You cant use this version of the application Parallels Desktop with this version of OS*X."

This is extremely frustrating. As a university student I am forced to use some windows applications and all my uni stuff was on my virtual machine. I trawled the internet for posts on "before you upgrade" and found nothing warning me that this could happen.

The support system here is rather poor, I cannot seem to directly contact anyone from Parallels to communicate this issue, so I am hopeful someone is paying attention here as I desperately need this resolved ASAP.

12. SanjeevB

SanjeevB Bit poster

Parallels, Here's how you support Mountain Lion in Parallels 6.

I'm willing to bet all Parallels is doing (in version 6) is checking the major version # of the OS.

So Parallels, all you have to do is remove (or comment out) the code at startup that resembles the following:

//Version 6 only supports up to version 10.7
    if (GetMacOS_XVersion >= 10.8)
    {

<crash>;

}

And release a new update. You will make a lot of customers happy. But (imo) happy customers has never been a priority for Parallels. Sadly, it's "Let's see how much money we can get out of our existing customers".

-One un-happy customer

13. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Bit poster

Jumping on this bandwagon... This is complete bull. We bought 10 licenses for a SCHOOL DISTRICT and now we can't even use them. This is the most disappointing thing Parallels has ever done and there have been a lot of past occurrences!

I will never buy a Parallels product again nor will I ever suggest it to any user ever again.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

This quote hit the nail on the head. GREEDY is the word that sums it up the most.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  14. daenni

daenni Bit poster

I am almost sure, that a few days ago, i read on a parallels support website, that PD 6 will be working with OSX 10.8. But now after installing it, I see not????

15. barneda

barneda Junior Member

I've installed ML and wasn't aware parallels 6 wasn't supported.

How do i even go about upgrading now? I can't open Parallels at all.

Help needed please.

16. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Bit poster

I think it's funny how people are posting for the first time on this forum just for this.

Paralles... you really f'd this one up and f'd us over.

Just found this too...

http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012/

Ironically all the dates on the page say it takes effect on July 25th 2012... hmm thats today. This was defiantly a plan to make money and not please customers.

However it's really going to suck for Parallels when people start to revolt.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  17. Abevghost

Abevghost Bit poster

Download and install the trial version 7. You can upgrade from there.

18. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Bit poster

For $50! For a product that isn't that old! RIP OFF.

19. Abevghost

Abevghost Bit poster

Go back and read that again. The guarantee is for version 7 support, not version 6.

I would like to see a discounted upgrade path for people the purchased within the last 12 months.

20. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Bit poster

That... was.. my point. They do it for Version 7 as of today but nothing else.