Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. thisisjess

thisisjess Junior Member

Long time User.

I can tell you this debate, and upset ness comes up with every major release from Parallels. I just filled out a survey after purchasing PD7 just because I did not want to deal with incompatibility but its easier that way. I disagree with their upgrade strategy especially since vmware is always touting discounts to switch and the full price is the upgrade price of parallels. They would have a faster rate of upgrade over at parallels if they did not charge so much for an upgrade.

2. Abevghost

Abevghost Bit poster

I suppose you should also be a bit upset with Apple. For an OS upgrade, that on the surface does not seem to be that major, they managed to break Parallels.
    When I upgraded to Lion, it broke my Photoshop. That cost over $500 to upgrade.

3. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

Thanks, I agree with the reviewer. I'll be boycotting them too.

4. daenni

daenni Bit poster

5. JMills

JMills Bit poster

I've been happy with Parallels up to this point. Bought PD6 on 6/30/11, now it looks like I'm buying another version. It's a nice piece of software, but there are other decent options that don't take you down for another $50 after a year. I can't work without some bit of Windows. I imagine I'll be looking for another solution though, if for no other reason than principle.

6. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

Thanks for pointing this out. Like you, I wake up every morning and randomly search for hints about Parallels prior to using my Mac ;)

An e-mail or warning would have been more appropriate since most users didn't discover the issue until after installation. That said, a software product that stops working within a year of installation is inexcusable.

7. Maureenv

Maureenv Bit poster

I also installed OSX Mountain Lion today. After installation there was a systemmessage that said Parallels 6 was incompatible. I cannot start Parallels at this moment. What should I do?

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac and Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac will not run on Mac OS X Mountain Lion, says the website. But how do I proceed from here? I need parallels for my billing software.
    Do I buy the upgrade or a complete new version? And then? Do I need to remove Parallels 6 to the bin? And then reinstall a complete new version? I don't know anymore.... :-(

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  8. Abevghost

Abevghost Bit poster

Download the trial version 7. You can upgrade from there if you want.
    It's free for the first couple of weeks, so you can at least get stuff backed up if you decide not to upgrade.

9. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

Given that no other software seems to be "broken" with this OS upgrade, it is most logical to assume that the only reason it doesn't work is a version check by Parallels to extract money.

Basically this is the ethical equivalent of a car mechanic finding out the the problem is bad gas, then breaking something else for him to fix.

10. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

Lousy customer service...

So, Parallels/Nova sends us all an email this morning that we need to spend $49 for PD 7 since PD 6 won't work on Mountain Lion.

A couple of weeks ago, they had a 'special' on PD 7 for $29 ... only they wouldn't sell it for that price. No matter how many times I tried to order, their site would not accept the order - and calling the 800 order number, the agent took my credit card info and told me she'd have to have a manager process the order .... which was never processed. Nice.

Since Parallels requires a license for every machine - I have to buy multiple licenses now at $49, since they would not honor the $29, in order to upgrade my Macs to Mountain Lion.

Seriously looking at Fusion, which lets you use your license on all Macs that you own. Even though I've been with Parallels since version 2, my customer loyalty is getting me nothing from these guys...

Not happy.

11. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

I've been a customer since the very first release. It has never been forced like this before. Eventually I would upgrade as a feature would appeal to me, or a sale price seemed to justify it.

I upgraded to 7. Unless I miraculously get a $30 refund it will be the last money they ever see from me.

12. Abevghost

Abevghost Bit poster

It broke the version of VirtualBox I was running also. Not a big deal since it's free. Rapport also will not run under ML.
    So yes, it did break other programs.

13. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

Anyone who hasn't upgraded yet ... try running it from terminal command line. That might work.

14. emergingdzns

emergingdzns Bit poster

Parallels has lost another customer. This is ridiculous. I've been pretty happy with their system for several years now and didn't see a reason to upgrade to 7 from version 6 when I only use it occasionally to test something. It's not a daily use thing and the $49 (sale price) to upgrade was not justified.

Now they are forcing me to upgrade? I think not. As soon as I find my Windows disks, I'm going to switch to VirtualBox. It's free and supported. Anyone here that still has Parallels really should take the time to look into it. Don't give these criminals any more of your hard earned cash.

I'd rather suffer the struggle of rebuilding Windows and all my software on Windows that give them another dime. Every week I get an email from them it seems offering another new version. Forget it.

15. virtualpion

virtualpion Bit poster

Not happy at all about the fact that Parallels 6 won't be supported under Mountain Lion. I've just run through about 80% of the apps. on my machine and so far all of them are working with one exception - Parallels. I don't really care about upgrading to version 7 as version 6 has all the features I need. The upgrade price is too high. Twenty dollars maybe, fifty dollars, definitely not, especially when there are alternatives available. A company which isn't willing to support at least some of it's recent versions doesn't really deserve any customers especially when they charge an upgrade cost that's 60% of the new product cost. I'm lucky in that I only need to run windows from time to time so I'll probably go with BootCamp.

16. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

I've done some looking into this - and have calmed down a bit.

I take back my comments about it just checking for a version number. It looks like there actually more to it than that.

HOWEVER Parallels has know about this issue for about 6-months. They blew a tremendous opportunity for goodwill by not promoting this upgrade earlier, at a more reasonable price - There was a special a short time ago, but no notice about the last version no longer being compatible. Had I known that, or if there was a special now, I wouldn't be pissed at them.

I also don't believe that it would have been that big of deal for them to do the minor upgrade to 6 to make it work with Mountain Lion.

17. tucktuck

tucktuck Junior Member

I've had offers to upgrade from 6 to 7 for a wide range of prices but there are no compelling features which made any price worth the trouble. Today we're notified of a very compelling reason to upgrade at a middle-range price along with some bizarre language about a timed vapor ware upgrade clause. I'll wait for the class action and hope my need for this software disappears as quickly as their OS support.

18. HenningT

HenningT Bit poster

Well, this is my first post here as well and I am shocked that they won't do minor fixes to make it compatible with ML. Have tons of different apps on my system, no problems after upgrading to ML.*

And a question concerning*http://www.parallels.com/de/techguarantee2012/

It says that you can get a free upgrade if you have purchased an upgrade to version 7. But then it says "US only". So as an European user I won't get a free upgrade to 8 when I upgrade to 7 now?!

Oh well, and check this out, as a side note :)*http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25...d-2008-compatibility-with-os-x-mountain-lion/

2011 and 2008 (4 years) and Microsoft!

19. Ricky55

Ricky55 Bit poster

This is a total disgrace IMO

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion, started up for the first time to learn that three of my apps weren't compatible.

Little Snitch, Attachment Tamer, and PD6.

No problem I thought they'll have updates, well Little Snitch and Attachment Tamer did have but guess who wasn't providing one?

This is a total disgrace IMO. Mountain Lion is not a major upgrade and if small one man developers can get there software Mountain Lion ready why can't you guys?

I only bought PD6 about a year back, its very expensive anyway, even the upgrade is three times the cost of OS X.

This has really annoyed me and then software companies wonder why users pirate software, you try to go down the proper road supporting companies for their work and you get your fingers burnt.

Sorry but I refuse to pay this, I'd rather buy VM Ware from scratch that line your pockets.

Should be ashamed of yourselves.

20. labart

labart Bit poster

4th upgrade and it looks as if it will be my last

I have been a faithful user of parallels over the years and P6 is the 4th version I'm on.

However, after upgrading last year to v6 I did not have the time or inclination to upgrade to v7 only a few months later. Nor was I given a free upgrade option as YanaYana indicated earlier in this thread. Just as important, I have to involve my IT department to install these upgrade and it is quite time consuming.

I do not often write on these types of forums, however, after reading the above thead I feel compelled to add my voice to the fray of discontent. As the previous thread points out even Microsft is supporting its 2008 product.

I have spent a great deal over the years on this product, but Parallels have to learn that their customers expect something in return!