Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Adam Rieger

Adam Rieger Bit poster

Add me to the list

You can add me to the list of users switching to VMware. Full version of VMware is the same cost to upgrade Parallels.

2. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth Bit poster

Not one response from a Parallels Mod or Rep... really sad that THIS is a business strategy to them.

Customer happiness and support is a big reason people come back to a company.

3. Stoney98

Stoney98 Bit poster

Disgraceful

I too am disgusted by this. Bought Parallels 6 literally a year ago and never got an offer of free P7 upgrade. I had to payup last night to get the upgrade to 7 because I have critical windows software.

If I don't get a full refund of this pretty pronto I will be deserting Parallels when I get my next mac. Utterly pathetic.

4. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

5. DJFizz

DJFizz Bit poster

Just the nudge I needed...

to see if I can get by without any Windows. Otherwise, moving to Virtualbox.

6. AndrouH

AndrouH Bit poster

And me

As many others on this forum, i am very disappointed and frustrated that PD6 does not work on Mountain Lion.
    I bought PD5 a couple years ago, and when PD6 came out a few weeks later, i reluctantly paid more because there was a discount an I thought I'd be buying into longer term support.

This is the only piece of software that has any problems with Mountain Lion on my two macs. I think it's shameful that Parallels exploits its users this way with forced upgrades.

7. barneda

barneda Junior Member

I just spent 34 minutes (25 mins on hold) on the phone to the support team. It was a call centre in India i believe and i had to repeat everything 3 or 4 times.

I need to upgrade despite buying 6 in July 2011.

They offered me a 10 % discount and as i need Windows i accepted it. They promised to send me the code by email. That was an hour ago, nothing arrived.

Awful customer service.

8. SynthGP

SynthGP Bit poster

You will note that this is my first...and likely my last post. I find it necessary to echo the sentiments in this thread and let the company know that they have lost more customers than those posting on this forum represent.

Unless the company finds a way to improve their business model, consider this the beginning of the end...

9. Red974

Red974 Bit poster

Add me to the list

Really disappointed as well as many others...
    The more I dig, the more I find this company has definitely crossed to the dark side.
    10% discount on the update is like a slap in the face. Never will I accept this...

Will update to mountain lion and switch to VirtualBox.

10. GetIT1977

GetIT1977 Bit poster

I had the same conversation in a support instant messaging session. I've put it on my blog to document this.
    http://www.bartkowiak.de/archives/422

11. Red974

Red974 Bit poster

Yep, more and more shameful...

12. RonSchn

RonSchn Member

You guys really expect to get a free upgrade to a software that is not sold for one year and on a technical base that is 2 years old?
    Just because Apple charges 20$ (you pay the development of OSX with the Mac hardware by the way) you say other software is not worth more? (Other software that can not be subsidised by hardware)

Parallels always worked great for me and still does - neither does virtual Box or VMWare (guess why it is so cheap...)

By the way, VMWare Fusion 3 (the last version before the recent one) WON'T RUN ON ML AS WELL, haha.
    And in a VMWare blogpost they all "threat" to buy Parallels instead":

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2012/07/vmware-fusion-and-os-x-mountain-lion-faq.html

lol Cheapos everywhere! Go and play Angry Birds on iOS for $0.79 or learn to acknowledge the value of productive software!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. MikeL123

MikeL123 Bit poster

VMware Fusion 3.0 was released on October 27, 2009 and Parallel Desktop 6 was on September 14, 2010. One year earlier than DP6. Please don't present partial facts to fit your own argument. While I understand why DP6 won't run on Mountain Lion (maybe due to the 64bit extension requirement in Mountain Lion; so it is like"I will code the 64bit extension when I really have to" rather than "let's get more money from our customers."), I am still not happy about it. I bought DP1, 2, 3, 4, 6 because they are generally faster than VM (for my work). So now I have to decide to buy a good product from a bad company or buy a ok product from a good company. Still thinking.

14. Red974

Red974 Bit poster

Never said I expected it to be free, but a 10% discount to update a product I bought not one year ago....

As to the comparison to VMWare fusion 3, I don't think it's the same since it has been released in october 2009.
    Again, I'm not against paid upgrades or companies to stop support of old versions, but I don't actually consider a year "old".

I gladly pay for softwares (even expensive ones) but I don't find it acceptable when companies force my hand to buy an update.

To each his own :)

15. RobertHa

RobertHa Member

Yes. The industry standard is to support stuff for more than one year.

"The Office for Mac team is happy to announce that Office for Mac 2011 is Mountain Lion ready! We’ve been working with Apple to ensure a fantastic experience for our users."

"Office for Office 2008 for Mac is also supported on Mountain Lion."

http://blog.officeformac.com/were-ready-for-mountain-lion

16. texasdoc

texasdoc Bit poster

Add me to the list

I'm abandoning Parallels as well. I was forced to buy Parallels 6 one year ago when I upgraded to Lion, and of course got no offer of a free upgrade to Parallels 7. What they EXPECT me to do is buy 7 today, then pay again for 8 in a month or two. Well, I'm tired of being a sucker. I just downloaded the trial version of VMWare Fusion, imported my Parallels VM, and will pay for the full version. So long, Parallels!

17. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

Two years is a bit long, but really Parallels Desktop 7 has been out for less than a year. There are many people that bought Parallels 6 less than a year ago and for those people they are s*** out of luck.

Yes, I expect manufacturers to support a product for at least one year. Call me crazy.

18. RonSchn

RonSchn Member

By the way my cheapo friends. If you would inform yourself a little bit before, half of this shitstorm would not have happened.

First get information wether there are same apps that won't ron (yet) on the new version of OSX. If they are important for you, wait. Just wait.

Second, more important here: If you purchased or are going to purchase an update or full version of Parallels 7 right now, you will get the next major update for free:

http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012/

The link was on the main product page. Open your eyes before you start a shitstorm!

19. peddie

peddie Bit poster

Not upgrading

Was annoyed to go through this last year with parallels, checked before upgrading this year only to see it's not compatible. Will not upgrade to Mountain Lion for now, and when I do Parallels will sure as hell not be getting any more money out of me.

20. ApolloX

ApolloX Junior Member

Wow, such a jerk. If we had been all notified Parallels 6 was dead on arrival in Mountain Lion, such as an e-mail since I'm registered, we would have postponed the update. As it stands, Parallels took the "screw you and hold you hostage" approach charging $50 following a $20 OS upgrade. And they don't apologize or care. Get the facts.