3D Support is "Teh Wonky(tm)"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bxlewi1, Jun 7, 2007.

1. bxlewi1

bxlewi1 Bit poster

To preface this, I'm basing this solely on Half Life:2.

With a clean install of XP SP2 and HL:2 from steam, I've seen the following:

1: Dock icon screenshot shows the splash screen, main window is garbled
    2: Very slow (windowed/full screen/cut down resolution)
    3: Graphic glitches when windowed (mouse sometimes isn't released from the 3D window), need to cmd-tab to another app, then back

Right now, HL:2, which is the sole reason I assembled a physical PC a few years ago. It's a demanding game that is for sure, but it's not even as current as Quake4, which seems to run fine. I wonder if it's a case of good OpenGL but bad Direct3D?

As an aside, I've had 3.0 refuse to quit once requiring a hard restart (not even terminal could kill it.)

2. Cyphin6

Cyphin6 Junior Member

I'm pretty sure most early adopters are feeling underwhelmed atm

3. cbandes

cbandes Junior Member

It just plain doesn't work. Parallels shipped broken software, and had the nerve to charge for it.

4. Cyphin6

Cyphin6 Junior Member

You know sadly I couldn't agree more, I luckily waited for the trial and wasn't sucked in but this is not retail quality anything, this is barely beta theres almost no compatibility, little support of it, barely DirectX 8 support I mean what is this? I think Swsoft said "well people seem to like the gimmicks we've been tossing in there why not toss in some broken gimmicks? Ya that works, let them buy broken software and we'll fix it 4 months later, ya that works", I was very much looking forward to this and when I came to the forums I knew it was too good to be true, another company fallen to greed.

5. mpdan

mpdan Junior Member

I wont be upgrading ANYtime soon.

3188 has been rock solid for me.
    It sounds like 3.0 bad.

I even thought the $49 upgrade price tag was a little steep for someone that paid $79 less than 6 months ago. I mean..are the new features really worth 62% more? I'd have $130 in the stupid thing...

If the application was designed right from step 1... Well... I can't help it that it took so much money to refactor the stupid source code. I'm not paying for it.
    Rebooting my computer is worth $49.

I would have paid $10...maybe.

I say...
    Get it working, charge me $10 for being a previous customer and I'll buy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  6. pogo

pogo Junior Member

Yeah, HL2 is choppy as hell on my setup too - 20" C2D 2.16GHz iMac with 2Gb RAM, fresh install of XP, Parallels Tools, latest DX SDK. Q3 plays like a dream, HL2 is hopeless. I guess there are various tweaks to get it to play faster, but still... feels to me that 3.0 is a rush job, and the ad blurb is plain BS. :mad: