Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jeffgtr

jeffgtr Bit poster

Add me to the list

I am really disgusted with Parallels. This is the ONLY piece of software which will require an upgrade fee to run on Mountain Lion. The ONLY reason I have to have it is to test sites on IE. I'm going to look for an alternative, this is nuts.

2. AndrouH

AndrouH Bit poster

Bye

While Parallels has no obligation to provide a free solution to those unfortunates still on PD6 who have upgraded to OS 10.8, I find this underhanded behaviour to scrape more money out of their existing paying customers unfortunate. Instead of bothering me every week with offers for a paid upgrade without any features, some notice that my existing software was not going to be compatible with the upcoming OS upgrade would have been more useful - I would have chosen not to upgrade that machine. (For that matter, I'm also annoyed that Apple's OS didn't warn me about this one piece of software's incompatibility before performing the upgrade)

Things as they are, I've now got virtual box running a new install of Win7, and haven't had any troubles so far.

Goodbye.

3. LorenzoN

LorenzoN Bit poster

Mee to! I am using VirtualBox to avoid the continuos request for money when a new release of OSx is done!
    Goodbye Parallels!

4. RobertNe

RobertNe Bit poster

I can not echo enough of the comments in this thread... All of them. I am so discussed at parallels that I am officially saying they can go to hell with their upgrades. I will NEVER purchase another product from this company again. I am absolutely applaud at their tactics in forcing customers to pay for an upgrade that should last for years. After all Microsoft still supports XP! Anyhow, I just swapped over to Virtual Box and will never look back. Bonvoyage Parallels!

5. DannySwish

DannySwish Bit poster

Bye.

Parallels, I bought 6 about a month before 7 came out, no offer to upgrade free/less, now I install Mountain Lion and Parallels is the only program that isn't compatible. I agree with everything else everybody said. I really only use Windows for a few games I wanted to play, that's it. I have them on Bootcamp so I never really needed your software, it was just a convenience. But now I'll just leave Parallels altogether, maybe switch to something else if I want to keep the whole Windows-on-your-desktop thing.

6. alain243

alain243 Bit poster

Reaction

These whole complaints won't bring anything if we all do it for ourselves.
    It would be better to try a common action, for example, here: http://www.change.org/start-a-petition
    Like an engagement not to buy anymore their programs as long as Parallels Desktop 6 is not compatible with Mountain Lion, and switch to Virtualbox as long they don't propose us a patch.

7. Newpower66

Newpower66 Bit poster

Are you kidding me? After paying for V3, 4, 5 and 6 I have to pay 49 USD to upgrade and somebody using competing software pays only 29 USD? Way to treat your loyal customers Parallels. Switching to VM.

8. Samdip

Samdip Bit poster

I understand there may be differences in OS than can break an app, but it's always followed by a patch, unless the app is outdated by many years... if a patch cannot be done, they should give a free upgrade to version 6 users... if not I'm voting with my dollar and go elsewhere , and I hope you do to.

trust me we'll all remember and consider buying the next version if parallels makes the right decision.

9. jeffgtr

jeffgtr Bit poster

I begrudgingly ponied up the $50 for the upgrade because I needed to test a website on IE today. I also downloaded Virtual Box. Had I known Virtual Box ran so well I would not have upgraded Parallels. Unless you are heavily into games I would give Virtual Box a try, it's free and possibly could do all you need.

10. smooth_move

smooth_move Bit poster

Upgrade offer? - Too little too late

Got an e-mail offer for Parallels 7, promising a "free" upgrade to Parallels 8 at some future date if I go ahead and buy the $50 update for P7 today.

Really??? Is this '3 days late and $50 too short' offer supposed to impress? Paralells, if you had reached out with a meaningful offer - even a decent discount on the basic compatibility I needed THAT DAY, I would have considered it. But by the time even that offer came out, I had already committed to migration. VM Fusion was the same $50 and I now have the added benefit of knowing that I'll won't have a gun held to my head. There is a time to take a stand, to vote wtih a dollar that gouging customers is unacceptable.

Windows virtualization is a commodity product, for which there are many alternatives, some of them (Virtual Box) being free. It is breathtakingly arrogant to think customers will stand for this.

11. smooth_move

smooth_move Bit poster

Does YanaYana even speak English?

I mean it is a globalized economy, but is this the best response Parallels has to hundreds of angry (and soon to be former) customer?

12. acjohnson

acjohnson Bit poster

To be fair, if you go on to the VMWare support forum, their loyal users of Fusion 3 are experiencing the exact same thing. Version 3 ceases to work with Mountain Lion. Granted, Fusion 3 was released a year before PD6, so it's a bit more plausible. So it's looking like VirtualBox is the real answer for the user that wants to be treated with respect.

13. Jorge Pedraza

Jorge Pedraza Bit poster

I am also very angry with Parallels for not doing the Parallels v 6 to supported with Mountain Lion. I will look for an alternative, this is crazy.

No need to go more with Parallels software

Rgds,
    Jorge Pedraza
    It Manager

14. Venkat_AK

Venkat_AK Bit poster

Mountain Lion Support for PD6

This is a big disappointment from Parallels. I do understand there will be changes between versions, but to say that such changes are too many and they can't support PD6 on Mountain Lion shows a certain chicanery on the part of the company that want to force users to upgrade even when they are not yet ready to.

Funny thing is, I use Win XP with PD6. After the upgrade, PD6 stopped working. However, I could install Virtual Box, and my XP installation back with no issues at all in Mountain Lion. Big changes in the OS? I doubt it.

Remember, PD6 is just one version behind their current version. Our expectation would be they would support it for at least 2 more years. Or provide a patch at a reasonable price. Not a forced upgrade at $50.

-Venkat

15. PhilipH1

PhilipH1 Bit poster

You've lost another customer in charging so much for the upgrade. Just so you can keep track.

16. fickx!

fickx! Bit poster

I just started the 30-day free trial of VMWare fusion and it is looking very good! Imported my virtual machines in a matter of minutes and everything is running great. I even have the feeling it is much more responsive than Parallels. I'd rather spend my money there from now on.

17. MartinWig

MartinWig Bit poster

Unacceptable!

Just upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion. To find out that Paralles does not work anymore! Without warning or the like. What kind of amateur company is this to leave their customers in the cold like that? All files/applications that were installed under Parallels lost? Need to pay again a license fee for Parallels. This company is more focused on $$$ than their customers. A disgrace.

18. krazykraut

krazykraut Bit poster

Add me to the list of pissed off customers. Not so much that the upgrade to ML broke Parallels Desktop (after all ML is a major change in OS even though it doesn't look dramamtically different), but the fact that Parallels Desktop 7 is fundamentally broken for one of the most common developer setups - dual screen. How long did the guys at Parallels have a developer seed of ML? And nobody hooked up an external screen to a MacBook Pro? That is impossible to believe. The suggested workarounds are laughable - my tools need 3D acceleration. Just fix the damn dual screen mode to stop flickering! Last version we as a company will pay for. Switching to VMWare or VirtualBox.

19. KounaJ

KounaJ Bit poster

i work at the Apple Store , i had 5 customers today having this issue i made them switch to other programs that i trust more , i myself have the PD 6 and now its no use for me with mountain lion , this company needs to have a better vision and strategy , with technology you can abandon customers . i will definitely not recommend this to the apple store customers at all !

20. sashapave

sashapave Bit poster

Another loss for Parallels

I've been a Parallels customer and user since 2006 and I believe I've paid for 4 upgrades since then. The paid upgrades I purchased haven't bothered me, the product had significant enough improvements that I felt it worth the upgrade prices.

But this upgrade has gone too far. Although I respect the new features in 7, they didn't seem necessary to me and I was happy with v6 functionality.

But now I'm stuck. I can't access my .PVMs since upgrading to os 10.8. And the product that I purchased not too long ago, that is only 1 version out of date, is now useless.

I'd like to stick with Parallels but I don't know if I will.

I was offended by the Nova offer "Get the next version (v8) at no charge" if I upgrade today. But the fine print said "If released in the next 6 months." Really? And who has control over the release cycle? I've never heard of a software offer like that before. It's like saying "Buy a pizza today and get a free pizza tomorrow* (only if we decide to open tomorrow)."

Parallels: It's not too late. Do right by your loyal users and we will again become your advocates.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012