Coherence Mode Failure in 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by akp, Jun 7, 2007.

1. akp

akp Member

Upgraded from 2.5 to 3.0 today on my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.4.9, 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 17" Display w/ATI Radeon 256MB VRAM). I am running Windows XP from my Boot Camp partition.

Although it worked well enough in 2.5, Coherence mode will not start under 3.0. No error, no beep, no nothing. Just wont start.

I have rebooted the guest OS several times, I have rebooted the Mac, etc. No change. I can switch from full screen to windowed, but not Coherence.

Parallels tools in the guest OS are version 4039 -- is that the latest version?

Disappointed with 3.0 so far, obviously.

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

My Parallels Tools is 4124. Did you upgrade from a beta built?

3. akp

akp Member

Interesting -- no, I upgraded from the 3188 release of 2.5 -- I was not a Beta tester.

I cannot uninstall the Parallels Tools, nor can I install the latest version.

When I try to uninstall it says I have to be running from a VM ... which I am (via the Boot Camp partition).

4. BMcCallum

BMcCallum Bit poster

I know this won't be much help, but I had the same problem. I rebooted both Mac OS X and the Windows VM a couple times, then the Parallels Tools installer finally appeared and installed all it's stuff. I know, not very technical, but it worked.

Now things are good. Coherence is back and I'm just starting to play with the Parallels Explorer and the other new goodies.

Thanks, factory, looks like a good build.

Regards,

Bruce

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I think you need to boot XP into safe mode in order to uninstall Parallels Tools.

6. akp

akp Member

I have tried the random rebooting some more, but that hasn't been fruitful yet.

Trying to figure out how to boot into safe mode now, though pressing F8 doesn't seem to do it.

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you're installing on a laptop don't forget to press the Fn key and the F8 key.

8. akp

akp Member

Finally caught Fn-F8 at the right time and got into safe mode, but attempting to uninstall Parallels Tools results in the same error message:

"Parallels Tools require that your Windows is running under Virtual Machine. The installation will be stopped."

9. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

akp,

The 4124 build number I posted yesterday was from my Vista VM. I assumed it was the same for XP but I was wrong.

I have just upgraded my XP Boot Camp VM to 3.0 this morning and to my surprise, the Parallels Tools build number is 4039. I am also having all kinds of probem including screen resolution won't resize, mouse won't sync, coherence won't activate, etc. I have upgraded Parallels many times from 1970 to 3186 to 3188 and never had problem like this. It looks like Parallels has included a wrong version of Parallels Tools for XP.

Did you have your problem fixed.

10. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

Had the same problem when I upgraded my disk image from 2.5 to 3.0. I was able to resolve it by completely destroying my disk image and building it up from scratch. Solution works for me, of course, because all of the things I had installed there were replaceable. I am not sure if you are in the same boat, however.

11. akp

akp Member

No, I am not interested in destroying my Boot Camp partition :)

Any other suggestions for getting Parallels to install the latest tools would be appreciated.

I hate uninstallers that put conditions on uninstalling like this -- just remove yourself already! ;)

12. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I donèt use bootcamp, but I can confirm parallel tools on my VM are at 4124.

Maybe you want to boot your bootcamp partition into Parallel using Safe mode to do the uninstall.

Or you could try to mount the parallel tools inside the VM from bootcamp and run them.

13. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I am having the same problem as akp. Can't uninstall parallels tools in either normal mode or safe mode. It gives me not running in VM error.

Parallels support please give your two cents. It is clearly not an isolated case.

14. akp

akp Member

Already tried safe mode (see above)... how would go about mounting the Parallels Tools from inside the VM?

15. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I am just trying to bump this up to catch Parallels attention.

Parallels support please response, please give us some guidances.

16. akp

akp Member

I don't understand how this didn't come up during Beta testing... there doesn't seem to be any way to uninstall Parallels Tools nor is there a way to force it to upgrade them. I am considering deleting all the files and registry settings by hand, but that seems like asking for trouble...

Any suggestions from Parallels support would be greatly appreciated.

17. akp

akp Member

Beyond frustrated -- falling back to 2.5 for now. So far I have had only problems and seen no tangible benefits from upgrading to 3.

18. akp

akp Member

Unfortunately, when I fell back to 2.5 I no longer had use of the mouse in my XP VM, even after multiple restarts of both the VM and OSX - so that isn't going to work.

On the upside, it appears I am able to uninstall the Parallels Tools when 2.5 is running (albeit challenging without a mouse). After uninstalling the tools, I got my mouse back - but I can't start Coherence mode (likely because I have no Parallels Tools).

So I had the choice of either trying to reinstall the 2.5 tools, or try 3.0 again. Wish me luck.

19. akp

akp Member

Got 3.0 reinstalled, reactivated Windows XP (again), but I still cannot install the Parallels Tools or start Coherence mode.

Also, during startup after reactivating XP, I got a found new hardware wizard, which failed to find drivers for "Other PCI Bridge Device". Could that be related? Does anyone from Parallels read this thread?

Would be great if someone could chime in with advice on how to get the latest Parallels tools installed. I can't use 3.0 properly, can't revert back to 2.5 and have it work properly, I am kind of in limbo.

20. akp

akp Member

Made some progress, as I noticed that there was a D: drive mapped to the Parallels Tools installer on Windows -- so even though it wasn't installing itself, it was there and I was able to install it from there!

So now I have finally managed to get 3.0 working with Coherence mode. No thanks to Parallels crack support team that was apparently allergic to this thread :p

Bottom line is, if something goes wrong with the Parallels Tools install during the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 on your XP Boot Camp partition, you need to revert back to 2.5 -- uninstall the tools, then go back to 3.0 and install the manually.

Ugh.